34. Rats and Wolves

EPISODE ELEVEN, SEASON SIX

"Liam, Coach wants you on the fiel-

"Liam, Coach wants you on the fiel-." Avery's words faded as she walked into the locker room and her eyes fell onto Corey and Mason trying to dress Liam while Liam sat on a bench looking extremely defeated. "I'm nothing without her." Liam sighed as Mason put on his shirt.

Avery pointed at the trio with a knowing expression. "Am I interrupting something? Because if I am, I can just go."

The three boys turned to see the red head at the door and immediately Corey and Mason sighed in relief knowing that Avery could help them with Liam who was being very difficult. "Avery, thank god. Can you help us with him?" Mason asked motioning with his hand to Liam who had other ideas as Avery walked over he instantly said. "Avery, can I ask you something?"

Avery nodded as she squatted down to his level on the bench. "Ask anything you want." Her eyes had a safe feeling in them and that made Liam feel like he could ask her anything even if it was dumb because he knew that she would still answer. "What was it like when Theo went to hell?"

Avery dropped her eyes to the ground thinking back to the time when she felt like she was utterly lost and had no where to go because the one person she truly felt at home with was gone and she had no idea wether he would come back or not. "Honestly it was a total nightmare and at the start I felt like my whole world had fallen apart but as time went by I tried distracting myself with the things I liked doing and I changed things about me, like for example I got tattoos and I changed my hair."

"Did it make it better?" Liam questioned keeping his curious gaze on her as she lifted her eyes to meet his. With a sigh and a shake of her head she answered. "As much as I wanted it to, It didn't. A distraction makes you not think about a certain thing but no matter how much you distract yourself it's always in the back of your mind."

Liam groaned and flopped down onto his back, covering his face with his hands. "I can't do it. If it was hard for Avery, I'm doomed."

Corey and Mason shared an exhausted expression before picking Liam back up so he was sitting once again. "You're not doomed," Mason exclaimed while Avery grabbed onto Liam's arms and put them through the arm holes in his black shirt.

Corey picked up the shoulder pads to the lacrosse uniform and placed it over Liam's head. "Liam, can you help me with this, please?" He asked so in response he held out his arms while Mason and Corey put it in place. "Hayden left me." Liam mumbled staring at the floor so Mason was quick to respond. "She moved, to protect her sister. And it's not like she dumped you or anything."

"Why is your arm so heavy?" Corey asked Liam as he tried holding Liam's arm up so Avery quickly got to her feet and grabbed onto Liam's arm so Corey could let go and tighten the straps on the lacrosse uniform.

During that time Mason had picked up his phone to see a text from Scott. "Okay, Scott says Coach is losing it."

"Scott's leaving too," Liam grumbled, throwing himself forward so Avery had to tighten her grip on him and pull him back. "Would you stop moving we're trying to help you?"