36. All hope is lost

EPISODE THIRTEEN, SEASON SIX

Avery had been told that Brett was missing and she immediately jumped to questions about the disappearance to Lori who in response showed her his bloody and broken lacrosse stick

Avery had been told that Brett was missing and she immediately jumped to questions about the disappearance to Lori who in response showed her his bloody and broken lacrosse stick. Lori had told her that she needed all the help she could get to find her brother and so Avery promised her that she would help and do everything she can to find him. Even though half the time Brett was an asshole, she would help. It would be her way of apologising to him for yelling at him a few hours ago.

So now Her, Lori, Liam, Malia and Scott ran through the woods trying to track him down and get to him before whoever is hunting him gets to him first. It would be a close call but Avery believes that they can do it. Avery had been a hunter along side her father and grandfather so she knows how to track and that comes in handy at times, including now as she drops to the ground and inspects the ground covered in dirt and leaves. The leaves have been flattened and pushed around which tells Avery that he was there, running.

The others stop behind her as her fingers brush across the ground collecting small speaks of dirt that she quickly brushes off on her leggings as she stands up and points straight ahead. "This way." She continues running and the others follow close behind. Avery notices sticks from trees broken and tilted by Brett's escape. So far it's been really easy to track him and she just hopes that whoever is hunting him is new and has no idea what they're doing.

As they run they trample on dead leaves and flick up dirt but their quick movements suddenly stop as Avery's eyes land on an arrow embedded into a tree. Deep in the bark. Liam jogs over to the object and places his hand on it. He slides his hand across it until it slides off and into the air but continues his hand movement until he is pointing off into the distance. Avery's eyes fall to the ground once she catches up to him and points at a phone which was Brett's. "Here."

Lori, Scott and Malia run up to them and Lori lifts the phone off the ground. Brushing off dirt from the back of it and looking at the device in her hands.

Liam points at the ground as he tells them his theory. "I think he set a trap." He nodded along with his words, being confident with his theory. Avery nodded as she thought it through. Agreeing with him silently.

"He's fighting back." Scott says looking between the phone, the arrow and Liam.

"Now we know he's alive," Malia says relieved, moving her arms out to her sides showing that she is relieved by the news.

Lori steps to the tree that they currently stand next to and grab hold of the arrow tightly. She yanks it out letting a small grunt slips past her lips as it comes free. "But he's still hurt. We need to find him, he needs to know we're here." She goes to howl to let her brother know that she is coming for him but Malia's terrified expression stops her. "Do you want the hunter to know we're here, too?"