37. Stay strong

EPISODE FOURTEEN, SEASON SIX

Avery rubbed widely at her blood-stained hands trying desperately to get the blood off her skin so the image of Brett's weak smile, his and Lori's bodies colliding with the moving vehicle, Lori crying over her brother's motionless body and Lori fa...

Avery rubbed widely at her blood-stained hands trying desperately to get the blood off her skin so the image of Brett's weak smile, his and Lori's bodies colliding with the moving vehicle, Lori crying over her brother's motionless body and Lori falling into a silent sleep that she would never wake up from erase from her mind but no matter how hard she scrubbed away at her skin, they would appear in a flash.

It seemed like as she kept rubbing, the more she would see it all happen again in the back of her eyes and it felt as if she was still there, shaking and trembling in fear and shock with watering eyes staring at the bodies laying in the middle of the road.

A frustrated cry left Avery as she saw Lori and Brett hit the car hand in hand for what felt like the hundredth time. Her hands continued to scrub the other harder and faster with desperation glowing in her glossy green eyes that sparked with pain. Her hands were red and raw from all the scrubbing but she didn't care. She just wanted the blood off her. She felt disgusting.

Her breathing was uneven and ragged while she tried to keep herself under control but she couldn't stop the single tear that slipped down her cheek. It wasn't because of the stinging pain she felt as she kept washing her hands but because of the heart-clenching pain she felt from the past events. The events that would surely cause her to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and a rapidly beating heart hammering against her ribs.

A sob came from the terrified girl as she turned off the faucet and covered her mouth with her hand which she had admitted was stained with Brett's poisoned blood and would not come completely off her raw skin.

Her back collided with the wall behind her in her bathroom and slid down it still covering her mouth to muffle her small cries.

She needed comfort but there was no one there. She was alone with the previous events haunting her mind, in a taunting way that made her want to curl up in a ball and hide from the cruel world. What had happened to the world? Why would people just stand there and gawk at a terrified boy then call for help for two teenagers that had a whole life yet to live? Why did Brett and Lori have to die? It wasn't fair. None of it was fair and all Avery could do was sit on the floor of her bathroom and hug her knees close to her chest wondering what she had done wrong.

She had tracked Brett down as fast as she could. She had run as fast as she could. She had done everything that she could but yet, none of it mattered. None of it mattered because Brett and Lori were dead. None of it was enough. She felt like she wasn't enough. She felt like she could've done better.

Maybe tomorrow would be easier. Maybe not. Time would only tell and as Avery collected her strength to get back to her feet, she thought about what would happen next. Gerard, her nightmare in solid form, was there, staring at her with beady darkened eyes and a heartless smirk, watching her witness the murder of two innocent people and enjoying it. How could he enjoy it? Why was he so heartless? Did he not have any humanity?