45. Ending this once and for all

If Avery was told that by the end of the night, she would be making her way to end a war she had been fighting for years on end, she would have thought that it was a joke

If Avery was told that by the end of the night, she would be making her way to end a war she had been fighting for years on end, she would have thought that it was a joke. But as the elevator rose and Avery inched closer to the top of the hospital, she knew it was real. Too real.

She didn't know what her father would think of it but she wasn't focussing on that. Her thoughts were tied in a firm knot with getting sweet revenge. It is so close within her grasp and once she gets a hold of it, she isn't going to let it go. Gerard had ruined her life and now she was going to end his.

Her friends shocked and concerned expressions were carved into her memory but she could cover it with the knowledge that everything that she has worked so hard for will come willingly. She just has to make it back to her friends to help ease their worries for her. She had confidence in herself that she could do it and she just hoped that they did too.

The ding of the elevator snapped Avery back to the present and when the doors slid open, a cold breeze blew into the small space and surrounded her, practically squeezing her until she let out a sharp exhale. This was it. This could all end tonight.

She looked out at the view of Beacon Hills before dropping her eyes to the solid ground on the roof. With clenched fists and a head swarming with angry thoughts, she stepped out into the open. She was in the lion's den and he was hungry for blood and death.

She continued her steps and kept her eyes ahead of her until there was nothing in her way and nowhere to hide. She wasn't scared and her heartbeat was at a steady speed. Her feet came to a stop as her ears perked for any noise.

A nearly silent footstep was head behind her and with one swift movement, Avery grabbed an arrow, placed it against her bow, spun around and aimed it directly at Gerard's face which had a big grin stamped across it.

His grin only widened once he focused on her stern eyes that were filled with silent rage. Gerard tilted his head slightly as he looked at her. "You have become something I thought I would never achieve to create." Once he only received silence from the girl, he continued with two words which made Avery's back stiffen. "A machine."

Avery shot poisoned arrows at him with her eyes and it caused Gerard to noticeably freeze. He dropped his smile and took another step toward her cautiously. "Avery, put the bow down. Can't we have a nice conversation without weapons before the fight?"

"No." One word spat through her teeth with aggression. She didn't want to talk. She knew what would happen if they did; he would shut her down emotionally and then put a bullet in her brain.

"You know... I've always wondered why you surround yourself with such disappointments when you hold so much potential. So much strength." He told her and took another step toward her. She wondered why she hadn't just put the arrow in his head already but deep down she wanted to see where this 'conversation' would go.