44. The final war

EPISODE TWENTY, SEASON SIX

Avery's boots hit the ground of Beacon Hills Hospital softly as she quietly heads further into the building

Avery's boots hit the ground of Beacon Hills Hospital softly as she quietly heads further into the building. As soon as she had stepped into the hospital, Hunters who were on guard at the entrance had immediately spotted her but they were nothing but a twig in Avery's way which lead to them laying unconscious at the front door.

People had been escorted out earlier which only left the hunters, her friends, patients and herself. Avery had one plan; Find her friends, get them out and get herself out but the question was how long would it take for her to accomplish it. It could take all night but that didn't really bother her considering that her friends were more important to her than anything in the world. Earth could crumble beneath her feet and she wouldn't care because she would have her friends with her.

Avery steps over an unconscious body and continues on her journey to find her friends while trying to not get spotted... Again. But with Avery, she will always get into trouble even if she doesn't mean to and when she does, she always somehow manages to get out of it. She just hopes that if she gets caught this time, then she will be able to walk away from it.

She sneaks around a corner and comes across a group of armed hunters who peek into rooms to find her friends. Just as a hunter turns to look behind him, Avery ducks and hides behind a wall. The man doesn't seem to have noticed her as he continues on with his search.

Avery peeks around the corner and watches them from afar silently wishing that they would all just disappear like a magic trick. In the corner of her eye, she spots movement from a room that the hunters haven't checked yet.

She narrows her eyes on the door but it is motionless and it makes Avery wonder if she had imagined it. That thought suddenly disappears when she goes to focus her attention back on the hunters, she gets a fast but noticeable glimpse of Corey peeking out from the door before he disappears again. The hunters must be blind to not notice that but Avery was glad they didn't.

She watches as a hunter heads toward the door which must lead to a supply closet and hides Mason and Corey. Her heart picks up by the second as the hunter approaches and reaches for the handle. There are about twenty hunters standing around but Avery will not stand by and let the hunters place a single finger on the boys.

As Avery prepares for her announcement, before pushing herself out into the open and with one throw of a dagger, it goes soaring through the air and hits its target just as a piercing scream echoes through the hospital. The hunter who was inches from spotting Corey and Mason stares down in horror at his bloody and trembling hand which has a blade sticking out of it.

All eyes then turn to her and widen once they realise who is standing behind them. One of them with dark hair and a beard aims his gun right at her but she only blinks at him with a smile that has no humour behind it.