10. look at me

Pairing: Steven Grant x reader (Reader is aware of Marc, but there are no mentions of a relationship with him)

Warning: vague mentions of being in a fight, muinor injuries.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/71128031145cd7a8f3c0b6e797c10e57/fcfd94e97a067561-79/s540x810/342ac931bdf0058c4b0a174d7c57f2e53e978b7a.gif

Steven's steps are careful when he comes in, silently closing the door behind him to keep you from pulling your attention to him - for a few more seconds, at least

Steven's steps are careful when he comes in, silently closing the door behind him to keep you from pulling your attention to him - for a few more seconds, at least. "I'm in the kitchen!" Your announcement makes him wince. Not because it hurts, but because he has no idea what your reaction will be.

"Yeah. Yup. Hi. I'll be right there." He replies awkwardly, doing his best to sound lively as he makes his way to the wonderful smell that's coming from the kitcken.

Steven's not ready to face you yet. He knows you can sense when he's close, which is why his steps are slow and taking as long as it can, but he wants nothing but to rush into you when hears your chirpy voice talking about your day, about that big news that you were expecting from work and how "I bought that red wine we like, pasta's going to be ready in a few, and I figured we can- OH MY GOD."

The smile falters from your face when you look at him bruised and beaten up. "Hiya." He waves a lame excuse for a greeting that does little to distract you.

"Oh my god," You repeat when you rush to him with a bag of frozen vegetables, hands reaching out to hold his neck while pressing the bag to his face. "Oh my- Steven- What happened?" The frantic movements of your eyes scanning his body for more injuries, combined with the clear worry on your face, hurts even more than the punches he had recieved.

"It was nothing, love, just a clear misunderstanding-"

"A misunderstanding? This is way worse than a misunderstanding." Steven pushes your hand away slowly, trying to move away from you thinking that, if he looks alright, then you would be able to calm down.

"It's nothing, I promise." Steven is aware of how low his voice sounds, letting your eyes scan him when you interrupt him again.

"NOTHING?" You stop him, of course you do, angry and worried, and he has no idea where or how to start answering you. "Your face is all bruised and- and you can't even walk properly, and- hey, Steven, look at me..." He tries to escape from your frantic attempts to help him, still pretending that he's alright.

Steven surrenders under your gaze when you grab his shoulders, forcing him to stand in front of you - frozen bag in hand and a loud bruise under it. "Who did this to you?" Your voice is stern; he's sure if he said a name you would go out there and seek revenge.

"I'm not sure, I-" A deep, nervous sigh leaves his lips, giving you time to keep looking for information.

"Where was Marc?" You speak softer now, pulling him to sit on the couch. Steven shrugs, ashamed of not even knowing how to explain it to you.

"It's date night." He admits sheepishly with a small, shy smile. "He doesn't show up on date nights."

"Oh, Steven." His curls, all tossed and messy around his head, get pushed back by your fingers.

"I wish I could explain it, I really do, but I'm not so sure of what happened." With a shake of your head you make him forget about any explanation you demanded before. You kiss his cheek and wrap your arms around his neck, both of you relaxing under the embrace. He starts recounting as much as he can then, in the safety of your arms and your gentle fingertips tracing around the spots where he got hurt.

"Are you okay?" Is your final question when he's done speaking of egyptian gods and their missions. When he nods you smile to each other, taking away from his eye the bag that's no longer cold. "I'm glad you are home now." You conclude, locking your lips for a brief moment before standing up.

"I could still have that wine though." Steven adds when he sees you going to get ice, making you chuckle as you lean down to kiss his lips softly. "Maybe we can have some before you go kill Konshu's enemies?"

You snort a laugh and kiss him again, smiling against his lips. "I'll be quick then."