66. You all right, love?

Steven/Marc x Layla x reader (marc x reader began only recently, so marc is less comfy about feelings)

summary: things are getting bad again. Things hurt again. But with them, not so much.

tags: angst/comfort. sfw. she/her. mentions of suicide and death. Layla only arrives near the end. now beta'd.

https://64

https://64.media.tumblr.com/1a5cc0dc02fc130ba7f52f9e27d76921/6299a475292613bb-dd/s540x810/11b91212021c9d8ccda5cdbee237a74ae3cbb3da.gif

The sound of your own breathing was too loud

The sound of your own breathing was too loud. It was too much work to touch your thumbs with your fingers, and if it wasn't to keep yourself from feeling pins and needles, you wouldn't shift around in bed. Inhale for four seconds, hold for seven seconds...

With a twist of the doorknob, a smiling Steven arrived. There was a bounce to his step as he noticed you sitting on the edge of the bed. "Hiya there. What have you been up to today?"

So much muscles in your face just to smile. "Hi, Steven."

The light in his face dimmed. "You all right, love?"

Shit. So careful with your appearance, but he didn't look at you; he listened to you. Heard the weakness in your voice.

"I'm fine. I just..." now you sounded too convincing as you waved a hand towards the paperwork and projects and things surrounding you. "I need- I'm taking a break."

Your voice broke at the last word, and he walked closer. Your mouth was drawn in a thin line, your eyes shiny as you looked at everything around him. "You look like you're about to cry."

Well, if he found it necessary to address how obvious you were, then you should stop pretending, right? "You're right. Give me a minute."

You laid down on your side, grabbing a pillow to sob into and a duvet to hide the rest of you from him. Going face up as your tears fell would suffocate you, but being prone would make your arms and neck ache after a while. On your side was the best choice.

Steven reached your bedside in a few strides, falling to his knees on the wooden floor. He tugged at your pillow, just in case you didn't want skin contact right now. "Hey... can I see your face? I want to look at you."