100. Honey Baby Sugar Sweetheart

Pairing | Steven Grant x Fem!Reader

Warnings | none

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d2461d32bfa280c30583236d5251e3b9/2aaff37e108ce7b8-2e/s540x810/eee3bf75692067d0c2d501c63b376d1a3a1b2253.gif

"Hello, my honey, baby, sugar sweetheart," you were practically singing as you bounded up to Steven

"Hello, my honey, baby, sugar sweetheart," you were practically singing as you bounded up to Steven. He was working but had complained that it was so slow so you'd taken advantage of going to surprise him for a visit, "my love."

You stopped directly in front of him, watching as a pink blush crept into his cheeks. Before he could say anything else, you leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. Steven made a small sound of shock, suddenly more shy than he normally was. Needless to say, he hadn't been expecting you.

"What are you doing here, love?" he asked softly, peeking around to make sure no one was paying attention before leaning in and kissing your cheek, "I thought I'd told you when I was off?"

"You did," you nodded before taking advantage of the shop's relative quiet and hopping onto the counter, "but you also said it was slow earlier. And I missed you...so I came."

"You missed me?" his expression softened as though he couldn't quite believe what you were saying. You missed him? He had always felt like such...a nobody, always blending in and managing to remain invisible. But you'd never once treated him that way - you always made him feel so seen, so visible. You cocked your head to the side before offering him a small smile, "you saw me...last night."

"And what about it, mi amor?" you reached for the small stuffed hippo that was currently on display and gently held it. While you weren't as well versed in Egyptian lore and mythology, you knew Steven would be able to tell you everything about the plush, "I can miss you even if I've just seen you. I miss you as soon as you're gone to be honest."

"Why?!"

"What on earth do you mean why? Because I love you, you sweet, silly fool," there was something so wonderful about how bashful and shy he became when you complimented him. The air of innocence that seemed to follow him was a refreshing thing in a cruel, harsh world. You remembered the first time you'd spoken those three little words to him. I. Love. You. So simple, but when given so freely without consequence, without obligation or duty, they were the most saccharine words in the universe. He had been so taken aback, so surprised that he didn't even know how to respond; but that was okay, you knew it would come at his own time and pace, "do you not miss me when I'm gone?"

"'course I do, darling," he gently patted the head of the plush, which you now knew was supposed to represent Taweret from the little tag on its ear, "I love you too."

"Do you know about her?" you asked as you held up the hippo that you'd already decided was going to come home with you. Steven bit his lip, wondering if he should tell you all that he knew or if he should contain his enthusiasm as people often insisted he did. You put a finger under his chin and turned his face up towards yours, "hey. Don't get shy on me now, mon amour. I want to hear all about her - everything you know."

"Are you sure?" this time he didn't even fight back the small that spread across his features, "there's quite a bit of history behind this little hippo. Could take some time, you know."

"I don't see a problem with that," you grinned at him, "I've got all the time in the world for you, cariño."

"I like it you know," he admitted sheepishly as he hopped onto the counter next to you. You turned so your frame was angled towards his as you gently brushed some unruly curls out of his face. You raised an eyebrow at him before gently stroking his cheek, "when you..."

His face turned a darker shade of pink and you realized exactly what he meant. You leaned in and quickly pecked his lips, "and then I shall call you every sweet name I can think of because you deserve it, Steven Grant."

"No one's ever...called me anything like you do," his confession was small and broke your heart in a way. He'd always been nothing but kind to people, nothing but friendly and nice. How no one had taken a chance on him earlier was a wonder to you.

"That's because they've all been fools," you insisted, "and the only way in which I am a fool is for you, Steven. Light of my love, my sweet sunshine."

"I..." he closed his eyes for a moment before smiling and staring down at his feet. How did one person manage to make him feel so many different things all at once? It was love he supposed; while it had seemed like a sweet, far thing at one point in his life, now that it was right in front of him, he never wanted anything different, "do you want to go to dinner later?"

You laughed, a sound you insisted you hated but a sound that was like music to his ears, "are you asking me on a date?"

"I suppose I am," his heart practically burst when you rested your head on his shoulder, "have to keep the romance alive somehow, yeah?"

"You always do," you promised, "and yes, I'd love to go out on a date to dinner with you."

"Great," he breathed out nervously like he thought for some reason you'd say no. You would never, "now, where were we?"

"You were going to tell me everything you know about Taweret."

"Right," he said excitedly as you listened with rapt attention, "so back in Egypt during the early dynastic period..."