188. Make the Grade ☾ Part 1: Office Hours

Professor Steven Grant x F!Grad Student Reader

Summary:
"Wait, oh my god, please tell me you met the British guy."

"Okay, yeah, I did meet him. So weird."

"I mean, you guys know I have a thing for accents, so I was so excited when they said they hired a guy from London. Like, come on, talk about sexy. But that guy? Ugh. The vibes are terrible. I'm extremely disappointed."

"Tell me about it. Why did they hire him, honestly?"

"I heard he's like, a genius Egyptologist or something."

Or: As the semester begins, you hear whisperings of a strange new professor in your department and decide to seek him out yourself.

Rating: E/18+ only (no adult content in this chapter, but it will happen eventually)

WC: 5k

Tags/warnings: professor/student relationship* (eventually); smut (eventually); Reader is a "blank slate" but has a backstory

*This is a work of fiction. Do as I say, not as I fictionalize. Don't fuck your professors, and don't stand for anyone who abuses a position of power.

The divinity school café is, by far, the most underrated study spot on campus, and you would like to keep it that way

First of all, the name is a pun-the Grounds of Being-which is cute in a twee sort of way. Second of all, it's close to where most of your classes are held, so you can get there in less than three minutes when you need a caffeinated pick-me-up in the middle of the day. Lastly, it is (so far) underdiscovered by underclassmen, which means it's the perfect place for a stressed-out grad student to take up residence.

And take up residence, you have. In a summer that mostly consisted of archival research and thesis writing, the Grounds of Being became your second home. With the entire University of Chicago campus mostly cleared out for the summer, you have free reign of all of the best study spots and an entire table at the café to spread out your materials.