44. Golden Age[Poe Dameron]

pairing ; poe dameron x mechanic!reader

synopsis ; the war was over, and poe's looking at you like you'd hung up all the stars in the sky.

themes ; fluff, slight angst, mechanic au

warnings / includes ; emotional kisses, one mention of war/death, bb-8 is a sweetheart :( reader can understand binary, poe pulls out the dreaded m word

https://64.media.tumblr.com/24edcada5310eac9f0febda04b0e5cd8/0d908d8a9574b780-14/s540x810/c520442da7e0a0a9f91193cd85e6e8f16982aab7.gif

There were people everywhere

There were people everywhere. You could hardly move because of all the milling bodies cheering in delight, screaming the names of their loved ones in their tearful reunions. The warm air of Ajan Kloss paired with the packed throng of celebrators you were weaving through made your skin flush with heat and sweat prickle at your hairline.

A knot nestled uncomfortably within the pits of your stomach.

The war was won, but where was your Poe?

Finally, your gaze fell over the banged-up X-Wing near the center of the homecoming, and you sprinted your way over, muttering hurried apologies to the people you accidentally bumped into in the midst of your haste.

Just as you got close enough to get a glimpse inside the fighter jet, your gaze was inevitably directed downwards when you nearly tripped over a familiar globulus mech-droid, his eager beeps telling you just how much he missed you.

"Oh, BB, sweetheart, I missed you so much!" you exclaimed, kneeling down to smooth your palm down his orange-and-white panels with a smile so wide your cheeks ached. "Where's your dad?"

BB-8 let out a quick string of beeps and boops and just somehow, your grin grew impossibly wider. "Poe misses me, huh? Wouldn't stop talking about me? That sounds like him, alright."

"You gossiping with my droid about me? I've never felt more betrayed."

That voice. You nearly melted on the spot. Maker, you've missed that cocky, sharp tongue of his. Slowly, you rose back up to your feet and pivoted around, heart thundering painfully against your ribcage.

And there he was.

His windswept raven-hued locks fell just perfectly over his brows, skin tanned and graced with the slightest shadow of a stubble. His lips were parted, calling out your name in such a desperately broken voice that you nearly shattered on the spot. His eyes, dark and passionate and roaming down your body in a frantic search for any injuries-you were sure your own began welling with unshed tears at the very sight. And when his gaze met yours, he began running to you.

It was near poetic, the way Poe immediately curled an arm over your waist, yanking you towards his chest with raw urgency. He feverishly melded his lips over yours, saturated in such vigor that it wrenched a startled gasp from your lungs as his free hand cradled the back of your head ever so tenderly. He tasted like smoke and sweat and mint and something utterly just him-no amount of Poe would ever be enough for you. It took you another second to realize that he was crying, the wetness of his tears wholly forgotten over your skin when you pressed yourself harder against him.

Finally breaking apart, you were panting for breath, forehead notched affectionately over his.

"Baby," he rasped, the hand that was on the back of your head coming forth to cup your jaw tenderly. The man of your dreams was looking at you as if you'd hung all the stars in the sky, and you were nearly certain you were mirroring his exact expression. "Maker, I... I love you so much. I love you so much you have no idea."

You leaned forward so your nose brushed against his, lips only a hairsbreadth apart. "Oh, I think I have some idea, Dameron. I thought you were dead, you crazy bastard."

"Couldn't leave you hanging, could I? Besides, what's a best mechanic without a best pilot?" He chuckled brusquely before stealing another kiss, clutching onto you so tight that you wondered if he thought you'd disappear if he let go.

Once you broke away, you shook your head with a fond scoff. "You're so full of yourself." Turning your head slightly so Poe could pepper kisses over your temple and the apples of your flushed cheeks, you beamed happily when BB-8 began running jubilant little circles around the two of you, chirping binary so quickly that it sounded like near gibberish. You don't think you've ever been happier in your life.

"Kriff, I'm going to marry you one day," the dark-haired pilot susurrated, taking your hand softly to press over his chest, where his late mother's ring dangled on a chain around his neck. "And you'll be stuck with me forever."

"Sounds like a nightmare," you whispered, the loud crowd around you completely forgotten. "Sign me up, Commander."