55. Panic

Steven Grant/Marc Spector x Reader

Summary: You and Steven met each other at work. You are wonderful friends with one another, and each of you have feelings you don't know quite how to voice. When someone from your past shows up at a museum, you shut down completely, and it's Steven Grant (and Marc Spector) to the rescue.

Warnings: Angst (mention of past abusive relationship/domestic/physical abuse, mentions of blood/burning/hitting, panic attack/terror/anxiety), protective Steven!Marc!Khonshu, fluff, mutual pining. The "-" are a shift in POV from Reader to like 3rd person omniscient, I guess. Later when Steven and Marc talk, italics represent Steven and bold represent Marc.

Other Characters: Our main man Khonshu, Donna, JB, OFC (Theodore)

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7562cda8ca6ad5de398dacd9334d553e/3eb2402662cad4dd-ae/s540x810/cd760fbdeaf774a255dc58c4ad496fc39c0fdafa.gif

You were the sunshine in Steven's day, every day

You were the sunshine in Steven's day, every day. It could be the best day in the world, and you would make it brighter; he could be exhausted, body aching, having the worst possible day, and he would see you and all the dark clouds would be pushed away. You were the best thing in his life. He's never told you in so many words, but he's done little things for you to try and show it. Some days he'd bring you coffee, other nights he'd say a bit later to walk you to the bus or your flat. On your birthday last year, he brought you a bouquet of Egyptian lilies, and he thought his heart would melt when your eyes lit up.

And this friendship-but-so-desprately-wanting-to-be-more-than-that was not singe-sided. You adore Steven. But Steven is so kind to everyone, you don't know how to read his exact feelings towards you. A few months ago, he went on a date with one of the tour guides; even though it didn't end well it didn't mean it hurt any less when you found out he was seeing someone. And if you ever confessed how you felt and he didn't feel the same way . . . Well, you don't know how you could deal with that rejection. All you know is that you could never lose Steven. He was the best part of your day, your job, your life.

"I mean, c'mon," you insist as you lean against the register's counter. "You have to admit it."

"It does make him look quite knobbish," Steven chuckles as you both peer over to JB.