Chapter 8: The Night Has a Thick Atmosphere

At this moment, in a spacious room within another courtyard of the Yun residence, Madam Yun was being attended to by a group of her husbands. Even though she was a mother that had already birthed over ten children, she was only thirty-five years old but looked much younger as she has properly maintained her appearance. Her figure was not fat or thin–it was just right. Her face had not even one wrinkle. This was the age where a woman was most elegant and charming.

“All of you can leave!”

Madam Yun was drenched in sweat, gesturing for her secondary husbands to leave. Upon hearing her order, the secondary husbands glanced at each other before rising and dressing. Bowing, they all left the room.

“Are you all right?” Master Yun held a towel in his hand, preparing to wipe her body. Like his two sons, this husband was equally eye-catching. Although he was already forty years old, he still had an imposing appearance and a tall and straight physique from his many years of martial arts practice.

Madam Yun weakly sighed: “To be a female means satisfying all you foul men. If I show even the slightest bias, the inner courtyard will erupt again.”

“It is not as serious as you are making it to be.” Master Yun finished wiping down his wife and laid next to her, pulling the brocade quilt over them: “We have already been married for over twenty years now and our children have settled down. After two years we can transfer the household affairs to daughter-in-law to manage, leaving us to play with our grandchildren and enjoy being with the family. My biggest regret in this life was that we were not able to have a daughter. If only we had a daughter that was pretty like you, then all would be good.” Even if a secondary husband fathered a female child, he would not mind raising her as his own. A daughter that he raised from a young age was about the same as one that was his own flesh and blood. However, the Heavens continued to oppose him.

“Daughter-in-law is not bad. I think Zhu Zhu, that child, is very good. Appearance is beautiful, mouth is sweet, she really is from my maternal family.” After saying this, Madam Yun sighed again: “Us not having any daughters is something that cannot be changed just because we demand it to. Speaking of, I am also envious. My eldest brother’s family has eight children, of which three are female. Our family just isn’t as blessed.”

Master Yun swept aside his wife’s hair on her forehead: “It is not too late to have another child. Let us try for a daughter!”

“You think it’s that easy to have a daughter?” Madam Yun side-eyed him. “What happens if it’s a son?”

“A son is also fine. Shi Yi and Shi Wei[a] having a full brother is also very good.” Concubine-born children will forever feel estranged from legitimate-born children so their feelings towards each other will differ by quite a bit.

“They are all my children.” Madam Yun was not pleased with his choice of words.

“I know. I just merely want to have children with you.” Master Yun lost his smile as his thoughts turned. Frowning, he asked: “There is another thing. Is it not time Zhu Zhu accepted another secondary husband?”

“They’ve just married. Why are you so anxious?” Madam Yun looked at him, flabbergasted.

“Did you forget how your last concubine entered our family?” Master Yun’s eyes flashed with melancholy. “I do not want my sons to be unhappy like how we were.”

The ‘last concubine’ Master Yun was referring to is Fifth Husband Zhao. Before he became a secondary husband of the Yun family, he already had had an affair with another woman so his reputation was not good. Although he was already twenty-five years old, there were not many that were interested in him. It was precisely because he had some kind of a familial relationship with Lan Zhou’s prefectural magistrate that the latter forcibly made him enter the Yun family. Madam Yun was unable to refuse his entrance and could only blame her bad luck. Furthermore, because of the national law, she was forced to birth his children no matter how unwilling she was.