Chapter 57

Having had tea poured all over his head by his wife, both water and tea powder dripped across Ruan Zi Xu’s face and he became infuriated. His eyes flashed with a rage that could not be restrained and he pointed at Madam Ruan, angrily shouting: “You’re crazy. For a filthy product from the red district, you don’t even care about your family anymore and still dare to mention your Ju’er. It was precisely your evil creature that nearly caused my family to be ruined and homeless.”

“Do not point your finger at me.” Madam Ruan slapped her Husband Lord’s finger away. Her ire increased and her eyes seemed as if flames would spill forth: “My Ju’er making a mistake, only I, her mother, can discipline her. Even that spring onion, you need to mange. Who do you think you are?”

Ruan Zi Xu was even more outraged: “Whose family’s Master am I? All of your food, drinks, expenses, poison are all provided by me. To dare harm my child, I will let them see a good play!”

“So many years have gone by, yet you’ve eaten the wrong medicine today. Have you let your conscience been eaten by a dog, ya? Who is it that day and night painstakingly serves you, and takes care of your family? You do not appreciate your wife……” Madam Ruan picked up a Guan porcelain arabesque teapot from the table and threw it on the ground. With a great pa, pieces flew in all directions: “You old fart with nothing to do decides to pick a quarrel. Hasn’t Zhu’er‘s child been born and is living well? Yu’er is also well. How had they met with disaster? Why in the world have you gone insane?”

“I see it is you that has gone insane and have exhausted your capability as a wife. You spoil a fickle courtesan regardless of the law and of natural morality and have set my Ruan clan to also have bad luck.” The volcano that had laid dormant over all of these years erupted at this moment and Ruan Zi Xu was so enraged, his entire face was flushed: “Just because I was too tolerant of you in the past, you have gone to the extent where you increasingly are unable to differentiate good from bad. Which part of Zhu’er and Yu’er is worse than your evil creature? They’re all your daughters yet you’ve always cupped the courtesan’s daughter in your hands and loved her dearly. Since they were small, how many times have you held my two daughters? How many times have you given them your smile? I just don’t understand, how could that disaster that is so insolent and bossy, so unruly and headstrong, be able to enter your eyes? I won’t talk about how she almost caused my daughter her life, but she even dared to imprison an imperial prince! Me not handing her over to His Highness to be put to death by a thousand cuts is already not letting you down. What was that? You want to divorce me? No need to be troubled, you can take your group of concubines, bedwarmers, and children with you and leave my Ruan home today, right this instant. I, Ruan Zi Xu, am not qualified.”

“You old fart, I’ve troubled you! If you don’t find me pleasing, then you should’ve long said so, ah! I will leave to avoid being a thorn in your side!”

“If you are leaving, take your group of concubines, bedwarmers, and children entirely away, my Ruan family will not retain all of you.”

Madam Ruan was so full of enmity she put both her hands on her hips: “You have no sense of shame and are so capricious and stubborn. Not retaining is not retaining, who cares?! Tomorrow we’ll scatter!”

Ruan Zi Xu impatiently waved his hand: “No need for tomorrow, you can leave right now. Take all of your people with you. You must not take a single thing of my Ruan clan’s. Silver banknotes, land deeds, real estate deeds, if you take a single one of these then you are shameless. Steward Yang, prepare a carriage……” He strode to the doorway and loudly shouted.

Madam Ruan spat: “You smelly old fart, who cares about your small amount of money?”

A small attendant standing by outside the door hurriedly ran over: “Has Master forgotten? Steward Yang went to the capital yesterday and has yet to return.”