Chapter 97

One of Ruan Zhu’s hands pressed down on Nuan Chun’s wrist to prevent his blood from continuously flowing out while her other hand tightly wound a handkerchief around his wound. Seeing that he was still bleeding, she hurriedly ripped off a corner of her skirt and wrapped it multiple times around his hand until the blood finally stopped spilling out.

Her eyes flashed with clear worry. If by chance a major artery had been cut, it would be disastrous as he could lose his life in fifteen minutes. Were the medical skills of the ancient era advanced enough to be able to suture blood vessels? No, Nuan Chun would surely not die–there were so many with broken arms and broken legs who were able to live well afterwards. Wasn’t it just a wound to a blood vessel?

Nuan Chun saw his master was in a fluster but smiled instead, revealing joy from the bottom of his heart. At last, she was willing to be worried for him! He smiled until his eyes were just small slits: “It is all right, Eldest Miss. There is no need to worry, I am not in much pain.”

“How is this just a matter of pain?” Unshed tears were in Ruan Zhu’s eyes. This fool; did he not know how frightening an injury to an artery was?”

To be able to receive this amount of care from her! At this very second, Nuan Chun felt that even if he were to die in this moment, he would be willing.

Next to the window, Ruan Yu had been so frightened by this spectacle that she jumped up in fear and quickly left her spot to aim a hateful kick at the corpse on the ground that remained motionless.

“This shameless and vulgar bastard! He’s finally dead and have actually saved us the trouble of him being a wedge in our hearts, but he died a little too easily.” Ruan Yu finished her curses and lifted up Nuan Chun’s wrist for a look: “Most of the bleeding has stopped and it should be fine now. We’ll have a physician look at this when we return.”

Ruan Yu said everything lightly but Ruan Zhu remained uneasy. Saying goodbye to Feng Qing Bai, she led everyone out of You Xiang Pavilion.

The mission to look for Shen Zhong Yun ended in failure. A short while after they had returned to Guan Ju Villa, Zong Zhi and Min Zhi, the two brothers, rushed in with Imperial Physician Zhang. As soon as they entered the room, the men anxiously looked their wife up and down and omly simultaneously released their breaths after seeing she was all right.

Imperial Physician Zhang performed the rites to Ruan Zhu and asked: “Niangniang, who is it that has been injured? Please take this lowly one to the patient. All of this noise has rather scared this lowly one.”

“It’s Nuan Chun that has been injured. He is inside; I’ll take you there.”

“It is enough for Xing Yun to guide Imperial Physician Zhang.” Zong Zhi grabbed his wife’s arm and directed his words towards Imperial Physician Zhang and Xing Yun.

In the hearts of these imperial princes with a dragon’s gall and a phoenix’s marrow, a slave becoming injured as a result of protecting their master was something that was only right. Even if the servant then lost their life, it was considered part of their duty. It was the same as a lord demanding that his subject die–the subject had no choice but to do so. All subjects were faithful patriots; servants and slaves were loyal and protected their masters–Since time immemorial, these sentiments were heaven’s law and earth’s principle.

The room quieted and Zong Zhi pulled his wife into his arms and hugged her for a long while: “There are so many imperial bodyguards in the residence so why did you not bring some for protection?”

“I am not harmed. In order to protect me, Nuan Chun’s wrist meridian was cut.” Ruan Zhu sought refuge in Zong Zhi’s arms. Uncontrollable tears slid down her eyelashes and she sobbed: “I’ve always regarded him as an older brother. We’ve been together for so long, it’s best if nothing bad ever happens.”