Chapter 84

Ruan Zhu had only come out to go sightseeing and was met with the Emperor’s summons. He was the venerable Jiu Wu Zhi Zun,[a] at the same level as the future’s Chairman of a country. She said in a small voice: “Do you think I’m able with my current appearance? That um, wouldn’t that offend His Imperial Majesty?”

If the previous several palace banquets hadn’t occurred during the time when she was pregnant, then they were during the period when she was recovering after childbirth, causing her to miss them all. There was still a bit of a small commoner’s mindset in her subconscious, so as soon as she heard she was to pay a formal visit, her thoughts inevitably became nervous.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi smiled: “Wife, Emperor-Father is not a man-eating tiger. When you meet him, you will understand. He is rather amiable towards the younger generation.”

Ruan Zhu had of course heard that this Emperor was soft-tempered and ordinarily loved dance and literature, rather like Song Ren Zong of Chinese history.[b] Since taking the throne, he had actively undertaken the project of developing the motherland’s culture, causing the military men to lack favorable positions to display their skills. The entire army’s combat ability had declined as a result. Otherwise, how would they have had no means against the Red Eyebrow army in the south?

However, when all was said and done, the Emperor was a fair and good emperor. The ministers and civilians quite loved and respected him; at least the citizens of the capital did, or else there would not be so many commoners’ boats following him in relocating to Lan Zhou.

“Lord Husband, do you think what I’m wearing is too plain and will cause offense?”

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi studied his wife’s bright and clean oval face which did not need to be scrutinized for long. Her hair that had been combed into a chuiyunji was devoid of ornaments and stretched to her waist, all of it appearing as graceful as floating clouds. On her upper body was a satin snow-hued top garnished with flowers peeking out secretly and flowing sleeves; her lower half was adorned in a water-blue flowing satin skirt that trailed on the ground. Wrapped around both of her arms was a hazy silver muslin.

Simple and neat was simple and neat, she was also utterly captivating, just like a lily quietly poised in a valley, exuding an air that made one fascinated. He sighed in his heart. It was no wonder his third brother could become so enchanted by her and be willing to become her family’s number four. It was incredibly difficult for such a proud and arrogant person like him to act that way.

“The women of our Tian Chu all like to cover themselves in flowers. Though I have never seen you wear them, the Zhu’er without any of that has a magical air. I think this looks nice. This is very good, very beautiful, and even many of the imperial consorts are not your equal.”

“Where am I beautiful?” Having been complimented by him, Ruan Zhu was delighted and turned towards Nuan Chun: “Go find a tavern nearby and stay there for a while. If you want to eat something, order it and do not worry about the cost.”

“This slave will nevertheless return to the ship to take care of the Young Master.”

Nuan Chun looked on as his family’s Miss was led by Third Master into Huang He Tower, envy in his eyes. When could he also lead her by the hand and speak words of love with no worries? What a pity that he had been taciturn at birth and could not easily speak words that made one feel pleasant inside.

Ancient staircases were very steep ,so by the time they had reached the top, Ruan Zhu was faintly gasping for air with beads of sweat on her nose. It looked like she lacked exercise, ah!

There were quite a few people at the top floor all in civilian clothes with unrecognizable workmanship. Some were sitting, some were standing, and with the exception of Xuanyuan Min Zhi and a few limited others, she didn’t recognize at least half of them. But in the middle of them sat a forty-some year old middle-aged person who could certainly be assumed to be the Emperor of Tian Chu. She slightly swept a quick look over and soon afterwards lowered her head, afraid others would hold her in contempt if she showed a lack of etiquette.