Chapter 91

Liu Fei Xu ruthlessly glared at the wretched-looking woman on the ground, itching to step forward and kick her to death. But he clearly understood that he was currently the laughingstock of Lan Zhou and could not stir up any more trouble. Fists tightly clenched, he restrained himself for a long while before the urge to head over there disappeared.

Ruan Zhu voluntarily stood up. She didn’t have much sympathy towards Yu Lian Hua as she felt the other was a clown, but it would be a pity if she died. She stopped in front of her: “Hey, are you all right?”

One of Yu Lian Hua’s arms dangled; it seemed that her shoulder had been injury. She sat slumped on the ground, supported from the back by her husband, as if she was suffering from paralysis. Grimacing in pain, bitterness was all across her face and she howled in grief: “Ouch……Lord, be a little gentler……this is really asking for my life……I dunno if my ribs are broken?”

This was the result of being a busybody and there was no one else to blame! Mockery was concealed in the corner of Ruan Zhu’s mouth: “Oh, that is truly too bad. You had better hire a carriage and return!”

Yu Lian Hua scowled miserably: “Younger Sister Ruan, you know I’m so poor that I can’t even eat rice. Where would I have the coin to hire a carriage to go home? Or how about you lend me some silver based on the fact that we are acquainted. I will definitely return it some day.”

She was already tragic to this extent yet still did not forget to greedily demand some small advantages.

Ruan Zhu feigned anxiousness: “Aiya, Older Sister Yu shouldn’t look at my clothes that are a little brighter and cleaner. To be honest, these clothes have been sitting in a chest for who knows how many years, and I would be too reluctant to take it out if we hadn’t come out today. Let me tell you the truth–we can no longer open the pot lid in our home. If we hadn’t borrowed some silver from the neighbors yesterday to buy vegetables and rice, we would long have eaten ourselves.”

“Younger Sister is trying to mislead me. Look at how your family has all these lavish meals with lots of meat and fish and can also afford to eat rare vegetables in winter. No money–who would believe that, hmm?”

Ruan Zhu was not pleased. No matter how much money she had, it was hers and had absolutely nothing to do with others. Some people always believed that because your family was so wealthy, you couldn’t possibly spend it all, so why not give me some, hmm?

That sort of thinking made no sense whatsoever. If you looked at it from the other side where the rich became the poor, others would definitely not be so kind.

Yu Lian Hua was not needy to the extent where she could not eat as people who were in the mood to come out and play would, at the very least, not have any issues with survival. Money was not a problem–even loaning out three to five thousand taels was a trivial matter–but Ruan Zhu was unwilling to be considered someone with more money than sense, one that subsequently could be easily fooled.

“Who asked for me to be kind from the bottom of my heart? Since Older Sister Yu has said thus, I will strive to be a person on good terms with everyone and spend a bit of coin to hire a carriage to send Older Sister Yu back to the city.”

“Is Younger Sister not returning to the city?” A small abacus appeared in Yu Lian Hua’s mind. If they rode the same carriage back, she could still use some old tricks and curry intimacy and maybe even fish up some profit.

“Older Sister Yu is teasing me. I am a poor person, and the residences in the city are too expensive; I cannot afford to live there and could only build my humble abode on a lump of broken ground in the vicinity, barely enough to avoid the wind and snow.” Ruan Zhu turned her head towards the still-barbecuing Nuan Chun: “Ai, there’s no need to work so hard, Nuan Chun, as we can’t eat that many anyway. There are quite a few people enjoying themselves nearby and it will be very easy to employ a carriage. Go find one to send Mistress Yu back. We are poor so don’t find one that’s too grand or expensive, and remember to not speak carelessly.” Since Yu Lian Hua put on a show of being poor, how could she let the other be disappointed? It would be easier to have conversations if everyone was poor here.