Chapter 50

The country of Tian Chu called the province a road. It was only a few short months but the number of Red Eyebrow troops at the southern border had reached four hundred thousand. They had broken through many cities and occupied each road of the southern border. Wherever they went, they raised their flag–wait for riches and equal farmland for all. The impoverished people received benefits and one after the other responded to the call, joining the ranks of the Red Eyebrow army. The land of the wealthy were divided and all of their foodstuffs and belongings were robbed clean while the people themselves were kicked to the streets from their lofty glazed-tile rooms, their clothes having been peeled off until almost nothing was left.

The conflict became more and more intense. The main forces of the uprising were heading towards the capital and the number of people fleeing north also increased with the rich bringing along their entire family and belongings as they moved. An endless stream of carriages moving along the roads towards the capital could be seen every day, along with hordes of refugees both young and old carrying iron pots and packages.

The Emperor urgently sent troops to the southern defense line and issued an imperial edict to recruit troops from all regions. Many commoners that had been affected by the disaster one after the other joined the ranks of this new army in order to fill their bellies.

As there was a famine and also the issue with the rebels, the amount of money the imperial court had spent was quite a bit, and the imperial treasury was exhausted. There were not many deposits left in the inner storehouses and there was no alternative but to pass down another imperial edict to have merchants and businessmen fork over their money.

When Ruan Zi Xu received this news, he took the lead and contributed one million taels not for anything else but to ensure their safety. Fortunately the Emperor was rather open-minded and the country of Tian Chu had never been like those past dynasties that kept a tight leash on merchants. Merchants donated money and the Emperor was happy to do them a favor–You earn your money and when I have an issue, you’ll help me resolve it; you’re good to me, I’m good, everybody’s good.

The emperor consulted with his court for many days and arrived at a verdict. It was imperative to preserve the corn that comes from Jiang Nan to be able to have a steady flow of foodstuffs to the capital. But Jiang Nan was far-flung and transportation was not something easily done. However, Lan Zhou was to the north of Jiang Nan. In the event the capital was not possible, they could move the capital to Lan Zhou if necessary. Not only did that city have an abundant logistic supply, they could also guarantee the safety of the items.

As the largest merchant in the country of Tian Chu, Ruan Zi Xu spent an exorbitant amount each year to bribe influential members of the court so his network was very wide. After he received this piece of information, he immediately sent competent subordinates to Lan Zhou to prepare things, such as buying real estate, shops, fields, and other things that would guarantee the moving of their entire family in the future.

The rebellion continued and life also continued.

On this day, a luxurious carriage came to a stop in front of the Ruan clan’s residence and a gorgeously-dressed middle aged couple came out claiming to be Mister Lu’s parents who have come to visit their son.

The guard on duty led the two into the gatehouse to rest and took the proffered calling card as they went inside to announce. Not long after, Ruan Zi Xu came over to greet them and led the way into the drawing room of the main building. The distinguished guests and host sat down in their respective seats and a small servant boy soon served up fragrant tea.

Ruan Zi Xu sent someone to inform Lu Piao Xiang, who was currently staying in Zhen Xia Pavilion, saying the Lu parents were currently here.

Master Lu and Madam Lu’s appearances were proper and their bearing were within the societal norms. They lived in the capital and had opened a very prosperous high-end restaurant and had a residence with seven compounds. Although they fell far short of the Ruan clan’s wealth, they could also be regarded as a rich family.