Chapter 103

The Ruan clan already had a residence in Lan Zhou. It was the large, seventh building located in the city’s wealthy district and had, since the beginning, been managed by Steward Yang and a few servants. Ruan Yu had disliked the cheerless atmosphere, thus had been living in Guan Ju Villa these past few years. Now that she had heard her father was soon to return, she pulled her older sister back to the residence, planning to carefully tidy everything with the intention of moving in once their father had returned.

Ruan Zhu arrived at the Ruan residence and scrutinized the red walls and yellow roofs. The multi-colored beams and general appearance gave the building a luxurious and noble air, and it was really only lacking a few amenities. Scribbling down a list of items to be purchased, she handed it to Steward Yang and also called a slave trader to lead in several dozen honest and well-behaved servants. The trial period for the workers would be one month; those that did well would remain while those who didn’t would be sent out.

Once everything had pretty much been put in place, Ruan Zhu decided the main room lacked some small ornamental decorations and had people bring over famous calligraphy and paintings, Ru ware, the four treasures of the study, and other such items from Guan Ju Villa.

But Ruan Yu felt that wasn’t enough and pulled her sister with her to personally go buy more.

Every woman had a habit of window-shopping and Ruan Zhu was naturally up for the task.。

Seeing that she had gone through several harrowing experiences, Zong Zhi had set aside four imperial bodyguards that were to follow his wife no matter where she went.

Ruan Yu took Lian Xi, who had originally been her bedwarmer. As the two of them had grown up together, they held deep feelings for each other, and he had been promoted to the level of a secondary husband several years earlier. Because Ruan Yu was finally turning nineteen this year, there had been a never-ending stream of matchmakers and proposals since a few years back.

Ruan Zhu had thought they could no longer wait so she had sifted through Zong Zhi’s colleagues and had found some renowned, young generals with good characters and from the upper stratum to be her younger sister’s concubines. However, the position of Ruan Yu’s principal husband had continued to remain empty. Ruan Zhu knew her sister had an inflexible mind and absolutely insisted on waiting for Shen Zhong Yun.

But how could a man who carried the stigma of a courtesan be qualified to enter the Ruan residence’s doors? And then for him to absolutely have to be the legitimate husband? Don’t even mention how unwilling Ruan Zhu and the several husbands were–she was only afraid that if Ruan Zi Xu was to know of the matter, he would ignite in fury. Because of this topic, Ruan Zhu had frequently grumbled with her sister but Ruan Yu always had an argument to refute her.

“He’s merely carrying the title of being of the Four Great Masters. It is not as if he is actually a courtesan.”

“Yu’er, you’re too confused. His name is known so even if he isn’t a courtesan, what of it? In the eyes of an upstanding person, he is one that will forever carry a stain.” Ruan Zhu patted her shoulder, patiently persuading.

“Then what about Brother-in-law Zong Zhi? Was he not also previously one of the Four Great Masters?” Ruan Yu really hoped her sister could offer her support on this topic and looked at her with a face full of innocence: “Nowadays, Brother-in-law Zong Zhi is high above and respected by everyone. Who still remembers he had still stayed in that sort of place before?”

“There is the noble imperial household as Zong Zhi’s backing. What does Shen Zhong Yun have?” Ruan Zhu’s eyes shone with justification and her words were somewhat sharp: “Shen Zhong Yun only has a father who opened a brothel and still operates his business by exploiting male bodies. Yu’er, Father will definitely disagree. Our family has paid too much because of Wei Rong. Don’t tell me you want to continue the tragedy? In the future when you have children, what will you do? Will you let your children also be shamed?”