Chapter 51

Ruan Zhu originally had the habit of lazing around in bed, and after becoming pregnant, she became even more unwilling to get up before the sun’s rays were gleaming brightly in the sky. The matter of paying respects to her mother was also naturally excused. No matter how partial Madam Ruan was, her treatment of her own daughter would of course not be like how a mother-in-law treats her daughter-in-law.

Master Ruan placed great importance on this grandchild of his that would soon enter the world and instructed the kitchen to send fresh supplements every day.

Unlike her last life, Ruan Zhu did not have to wake up early to go to class and also did not have to work herself to death during the holidays. In such a cold winter, who would be willing to get up that early? Nowadays, she was heavily pregnant and had even more reasons to dawdle in bed. When half of the time of chen[1] had passed, meaning it was a little over eight o’clock, Lu Piao Xiang supported his wife up and fed her a bowl of pigeon soup and two meat-filled soup dumplings. She afterwards pushed him away, and falling onto the bed, burrowed inside the quilts and went back to sleep again.

Lu Piao Xiang helplessly shook his head: “Just sleep a little more then!” He called for Nuan Chun to enter to tidy the room while he himself picked up a book to read in front of the bed.

While reading, he kept stealing glances at the bed; the corner of his mouth exposing a smile when he recalled last night’s affair. As he was thinking, his body unexpectedly reacted. Wrinkling his brows, he could only seriously concentrate on his book to not think about those sexual matters and after a while, the swelling at his crotch disappeared.

While Ruan Zhu was sleeping again, another half of a sichen passed. In the courtyard, Yun Shi Wei practiced two rounds of boxing, one set of rod techniques and then ran to the back garden to stroll in a large circle. Seeing that all the plum blossoms had bloomed, he broke off a few branches and handed them to Nuan Chun when he returned back to the room for the latter to keep them in a vase.

“Why is she still sleeping? It’s so late, how can she handle it. Sleeping so much, won’t she become ill?”

“How would I know?” Lu Piao Xiang bitterly smiled and put down the book in his hand. A few days earlier, Ruan Zi Xu had instructed for them to take his daughter out to the courtyard for some air every day, saying for them to make her walk more so that the childbirth would be easier.

But Ruan Zhu did not cooperate, causing them to always be reprimanded by her father and not daring to talk back.

Yun Shi Wei had muttered behind Ruan Zi Xu’s back: “It’s not like you don’t know what kind of conduct your daughter has. Always venting your anger on us, I have called you father-in-law in vain.”

Not only were these words heard by those gossip-loving servants, they also spread to Ruan Zi Xu. Absolutely disgraceful! What was wrong with his daughter? His daughter was so clever and so gentle yet he dared to slander her? This kid, Uncle will not be polite when dealing with nephews! As a result, Yun Shi Wei was banned from leaving the residence to go out hunting or to play.

Yun Shi Wei was one that loved to be active all day and night. Being forbidden from leaving the residence made him dejected and every day, he could only leisurely roam around the residence to stretch his limbs.

“Spouse, time to wake up, the sun’s gonna toast your butt[a].”

Yun Shi Wei walked to the head of the bed and struck twice at her buttocks that was covered with a quilt. He was neither light nor heavy-handed and immediately swatted Ruan Zhu awake. She looked at him, bewildered, and rubbed her eyes before giving him a lazy smile.

Lu Piao Xiang beckoned Nuan Chun to enter the bedroom with water so she could wash her face. He personally freshened her up while she brushed her teeth by using a warm and moist towel to wipe her face and hands, changed her clothes, and brushed her hair.