Chapter 17: City Gate

Their carriage traveled for approximately half a sichen, but as they arrived at the city gates, they saw a dense mass of other carriages queuing to enter the city.

Yun Shi Yi sent Xiao Shan forward to ask the situation, just to find out that these past few days, a flower thief[a] had appeared in the city. Upon meeting a pretty woman, the rapist would stamp their door, and true to the meaning of the mark, would stealthily enter the woman’s residence at night. After that, a romantic show of I-am-you-and-you-are-me devoid of actual feelings would occur for a long while.

The women of Tian Chu did not care much for purity. For those that were not married, being chaste was something they could consider, but it wasn’t that important. As for those who had married, which one of them did not have three husbands and five other men serving them? Those females knew even less of why being virtuous was supposed to be a thing. That rapist’s methods were exceptional with superb skill, giving the women he ooxx’d with a taste of heaven. This caused the majority of the females to adore him in their hearts, including the wife of the prefectural magistrate, who was considered a person of outstanding talent. Not daring to annoy his wife, the official could only endure it.

But reportedly, last night, the rapist had slipped into the prefectural magistrate’s inner courtyard and knocked him out after the latter had just gotten ready for some pleasant evening activities. Throwing the unconscious man under the bed, the flower thief then pulled the magistrate’s wife for a nice round of lingering passion. After waking, the official flew into a rage. The moment the sun rose, he issued a search warrant for the one that would cause harm to the women of this world and ordered the investigation to be conducted from house to house. Even the process of travelers entering and exiting the city had to be strictly supervised.

With disgust on his face, Xiao Shan described the rapist. What was ‘he humiliated the male population’? This man was shameless and excessively lascivious. Once captured, he should be submerged in a lake, beheaded, and burned at the stake into ashes. Not killing him would not be sufficient to appease the commoners’ anger and resentment, and also would not be enough to give the men of this world face.

With this situation, Ruan Zhu has seen two kinds of situations regarding the men of Tian Chu–fickleness and devoutly safeguarding their virtue. She laughed into her sleeve. Because the prefectural magistrate wanted to get rid of the flower thief, she was afraid that many females would hate him to death and he may even have to sleep on the floor tonight per his wife’s orders.

Seeing that it would still be a while before their carriage could enter, Yun Shi Yi exited the carriage with Ruan Zhu to relieve their boredom. As for Yun Shi Wei, he was actually a pretty lively one and had long ran to the city’s entrance to become another enthusiastic spectator.

“Eldest Young Master, Eldest Lady, how is it that the both of you are also here?” A thin elderly man of around sixty years bowed respectfully at Yun Shi Yi with a happy expression.

“So it’s Manager Li.” Yun Shi Yi nodded his head. Manager Li was Yun family’s previous servant. As a result of his many years of responsible and diligent service, Master Yun thought fondly of him. Not only did he tear up his slave contract, he even gave him the position of a manager.

“Wife, this is Manager Li. The day we married, he was also there, but you might not remember as there were so many people on that day.”

Ruan Zhu had previously heard Yun Shi Yi bringing up matters related to the Yun family so still had some recollection of this Manager Li. If she remembered correctly, he should be the manager of Wanyue Teahouse and the one that Master Yun had ordered Fourth Husband Wu’s son, Wu Bin, to replace. She slightly bowed her body in respect: “It’s hard to believe Manager Li has already completed sixty years of life as one seems to be all smiles, radiating with enthusiasm and full of spirit.”