Chapter 52

It was like Yun Shi Yi hadn’t heard his wife’s words at all as his eyes were fixed on her belly. One of his arms was wrapped around her upper body, holding her close, while the other hand was gently stroking the large swell of her abdomen. Surprise suddenly flit across his face: “The child is moving and kicking my hand.”

Ruan Zhu’s eyes became wet again but were full of happiness: “Our child started moving from six months. Apart from turning over, they’ll also use their small hands and small feet to hit and kick. Sometimes I’ll even think inside me is a ball that’s jumping all around, just like they were rolling inside.”

Unfortunately, there was no one she could share these moments with. Yun Shi Wei was impossible; Lu Piao Xiang was improper. Only the father of the child would be able to understand the feeling of the blood connection.

“I have missed so many beautiful moments.” There was some regret on Yun Shi Yi’s face: “I was truly scatterbrained to actually leave while you were pregnant. I was not by your side; the journey to flee from the southern border must have been very exhausting, right?”

“It was okay.” She tearfully smiled. During that time, she had always worried about his safety. Fortunately, fortunately, he had returned and was at her side. She cuddled his warm body and felt that this man was precisely her sky.

Her man had been on the road for a long while and had become thinner but appeared even healthier than before, with suntanned skin and an extra layer of calluses on his palms that were very rough to the touch. Her tender hand traced them and followed the prominent tendons on the back of his hand up towards his arm, shoulder, chest. Resenting the layer of clothing for being in the way, she pried them apart and rubbed her pair of small hands against his chest.

This broad chest had appeared innumerable times in her dreams and she felt it was oh so familiar.

Yun Shi Yi took off his upper garment and allowed her to touch him. He could feel the temperature she transmitted and his entire heart softened.

The Heavens knew how anxious he had been when he found out about the rebellion in the southern border while he was in Liu Zhou. He had entrusted the fast horses of the relay station at that time to deliver a letter for her to quickly leave the area.

Then just when he had rushed the several large carriages full of gold-threaded Phoebe zhennan to the southern border by the use of the stars, it was only to discover that the rebels were much crueler than he had imagined. All of the belongings of the businessmen and the wealthy had been stolen and the clothes on their backs had also been completely peeled off. What’s more, they were arrested and paraded on the streets, and even cruel punishments were used to interrogate them on the location of the rest of their property and assets.

His attendant, Yun Shan, had volunteered to disguise himself as a penniless commoner to investigate the situation inside Mao Er Town. The information he brought back was that there were several merchants that had trusted their luck and hid their money in the mountains, hoping to recover them when it was peaceful again. But the local commoners had recognized them and reported them to the Red Eyebrows army. After the merchants had been captured, they were beaten into unrecognizable shapes.

Yun Shi Yi knew that going through Mao Er Town towards Tian Chu wouldn’t get him anywhere. He sold off the batch of gold-threaded Phoebe zhennan at the lower price possible before heading west with his entourage into the country of Tu Bo. How arduous the journey was, well, there was no need to dwell on it. But when they entered the Tanggula mountain range, the local tribal men saw that they were merchants from the country of Tian Chu and became greedy.

As a result of the scarcity of craftsmen in Tu Bo, their living environment was very poor while the commoners of Tian Chu more or less knew the techniques of planting and manufacturing. Thus, human traffickers from all over brought over slaves that they sold here at considerable prices.