Chapter 102

The Prince said: I am truly happy you finally decided to fly south, little Sparrow, for you have stayed here too long. But you must first place a kiss on my lips for I love you.

Little Sparrow murmured a reply: It is not to the South I am going. After subsequently kissing the Happy Prince’s mouth, it then fell underneath the prince’s foot, dead……[a]

Speaking to here, Ruan Zhu stopped and glanced at the expressions of the several children before her.

“And then, and then? Little Sparrow died then what about the little Prince?” The three- or four-years old Bo Ya widened her watery eyes, her little mouth opening as she directed her mournful, small face at her mother.

“And then……little Sparrow fell onto the ground, dead, and then a peculiar crack was heard inside from within a statue as if something had shattered. It was actually the little Prince’s lead heart that had broke into two pieces.”

“His heart broke into two pieces; did he die? The little Prince won’t die, right? Mama, tell me.” Bo Ya’s chubby and small hands clutched a corner of her mother’s skirt, hope flashing across her tiny face.

“Stupid Xiao Ya. The little Prince’s heart had already split so how could he not have died?” Zhi Xi was, after all, a little older and understood more things.

“The little Prince was both stupid and foolish. He gave away his precious stone and even gave away his eyes. He deserved to die, but what a pity for the poor swallow.” The one who spoke was Bo Yu. This little one was the same age as his little sister but he spoke amazingly well as he declared his own opinion.

Bo Ya wailed, sniffling and sobbing: “The little Prince won’t die. He’s also not stupid.”

“All right, the little Prince won’t die. Ai, he originally was a statue……not having a brain is also normal. Xiao Ya, don’t cry.” Ruan Zhu picked up her daughter and soothed her. Nearly all of the Oscar Wilde’s works that she had read in her childhood had left a strange yet warm shadow. Telling this story to her children was to make them understand that there were also many poor commoners in the world who could not afford to eat, so while they enjoyed their privileged lives, they also must learn how to think about this issue.

In middle school, she had read from a history book that Du Fu had wrote “Vermilion doors with rotten wine and meat, frozen bones along the roads” with a broken heart after hearing his youngest son had starved to death. However, that famous historical phrase was then ridiculed by Prime Minister Yan Shu of the Song dynasty.[b]

It was impossible for those who had never starved before to understand the horrifying tragedy of seeing your loved ones slowly starve to death. Fancy that he was still a prime minister. It could be seen that he was one without class or morals.

She currently had five children and each one of them was a precious treasure in her hands. Like all parents of this world, she hoped they would have good prospects in the future with the sons becoming dragons and her daughter becoming a phoenix.[c]

Ruan Zhu drove the two little boys outside to play. Of her five children, Bo Ya was the sole girl and had been spoiled by Zong Zhi to become extremely delicate. Even Bo Zhao and Yu Ze, whose births weren’t that long ago, didn’t need to be carried and cajoled every day.

After she had coaxed Bo Ya to sleep, she handed her daughter over to her wet nurse.

She then headed towards the other room to peek at the just-born twins who were now a little over a month old. The two wet nurses were currently sitting beside their beds, nursing them. She walked in and took one of her sons, pushing aside her lapel so that he could suckle. A smile formed on her face as she took in his tiny mouth moving without pause, the radiance of maternal love flashing on her face.