Chapter 18: The Man in White

What kind of situation was this? Ruan Zhu was in a bad mood and grumbled: “I’m afraid I don’t have the leisure to provide for such a large household.”

Yun Shi Yi smiled and gently tapped her nose: “You don’t have to worry about this matter. The men of Tian Chu are not in such dire financial straits as to need females to provide for them, so you don’t need to display such a gloomy face. If others were to know about this, they would think that this Head Yun is unable to support his wifey.”

In Tian Chu, it was regarded as exceptionally humiliating if one was unable to provide for his wife. Even if a man was to became a Buddhist monk due to a lack of talent, there were no monasteries that would be willing to accept such a disgraceful disciple.

Ruan Zhu was teased with until she smiled: “You Head Yun is so exceptional, there will be females that like you no matter where you go. We even ran into one of your admirers just after entering a teahouse. This era is where women are respected. If it was switched to how it was several hundred years ago when men were the ones with seniority and could have three wives and five concubines, you would already have a whole heap of children.”

These few days while she was at the Yun manor, Ruan Zhu had especially sought out a book detailing the history of Tian Chu. It turns out this world was not at all a continuation of the Tang dynasty timeline after the An Shi Rebellion. Rather, a provincial governor by the two-character surname of Xuanyuan from Lan Zhou had led troops to seize Chang’an[a]. Afterwards, he eliminated all opposing powers before restoring the country to one based on political and military achievements. He officially named this country ‘Tian Chu’.

It’s unknown if it was because the Tang dynasty’s fate had not yet ended or if the principal governor’s actions had angered the Heavens, but after the Xuanyuan clan successfully created the nation of Tian Chu, a period of suffering that was practically a devastating epidemic occurred in the fourth year after the founding of the country. This plague wreaked havoc on the female population, causing it to rapidly decrease.

The disease specifically targeted women. Whether it was because they were too healthy or their physique was too different, men were completely immune.

An innumerable amount of women died as a result. If one solely considered a single day in the ancient capital of Chang’an that was now famous in the modern ages, over seven thousand female corpses were cremated.

This disaster extended worldwide. It spread to Fusang and Liuqiu in the east, to Rome in the west and to Java in the south.[b] In the north, it reached to where the rakshasas reside and covered their entire territory. In short, anywhere that had people was devastated by this devil’s epidemic.

But not only that, the epidemic also changed the human genes. After the catastrophe, humans discovered that the female birth rate had decreased so much that they didn’t even amount to a quarter of the male births. Furthermore, all female children were born with a frail constitution and their chances of survival also weren’t high.

Not long after, the ‘one woman many husbands’ law was issued. In an effort to practice what one teaches, the Emperor took it upon himself to be an example and wed a joint Empress with his brothers. All the cabinet members also followed the example of their superior, one after the other sharing a wife with their brothers or taking the initiative to find other males for their wife. This caused the trend to become very popular among the people. Thus, through these various means, the population was able to increase and the nation’s power remained rich and powerful.

“What do you mean ‘a whole heap of children’? Why would Wife say it like this? In the future when we have children, you must not say such ridiculous things.” In the eyes of this Head Yun, family and children were sacred so one could not be irreverent.