Chapter 32

Early the next morning, Yun Shi Yi took Ruan Zhu to Tian Yi Pavilion to play. Since the day they wed, he hadn’t yet had the chance to take her to see his business that was in actuality, hers. Everything that he owned was hers, including his very person. There was nothing for him to selfishly conceal.

A magnificent three-storied building grandly stood on the most prosperous commercial street in Lan Zhou. There was a plaque above the entryway bearing the three words ‘Tian Yi Pavilion’ in gold lettering against the black background.

Ruan Zhu followed Yun Shi Yi inside and broadly surveyed her surroundings/the inside. They were in a lounge with an area of several hundred square meters and greeted with a floor completely paved with celadon brick tiles.

On both sides of the entrance stood two rows of neatly dressed, beautiful young men that offered amiable smiles as they bowed in greeting to each guest. With the arrival of each patron, one of the men would immediately step forward and lead the way.

Under Yun Shi Yi’s guidance, Ruan Zhu went on a tour around the place.

Right beside the main reception hall was a banquet area used to conduct dinner parties or feasts. There were also several private rooms that offered guests the option of having a quiet meal or to leisurely relax. The second and third floors provided accommodations. All of the articles in use were tastefully selected, from the large decorations such as paintings and furniture, to the smaller items such as cups, dishes, and other utensils. Everything was luxurious and chic but did not lose their elegance.

Yun Shi Yi led Ruan Zhu into his office and had her sit on a red sandalwood couch engraved with the scene of the Eight Immortals crossing the sea.[a] She contentedly kicked her legs back and forth. Her hubby was so wealthy. Using terms from her past life, he should be someone with a net worth of several hundred million dollars, right? Just this red sandalwood couch bed alone would be considered a top-grade treasured antique in the future. She didn’t know how many collectors would be green with envy, hmm?

She couldn’t help but to think of the frame bed in his Wutong Courtyard in the Yun manor. That one was also made of red sandalwood. If that bed could be relocated to their Yun residence in the city, it would be amazing. Lying down next to her hubby on that priceless bed every night was also a kind of spiritual pleasure.

Red sandalwood had been eradicated in China as early as the Ming dynasty. The emperor had then greedily set his sights on Southeast Asia and assigned people to cross the ocean to purchase some. Not long after, the supply of red sandalwood trees there had also basically been exhausted.

As one can imagine, red sandalwood is extremely precious.

Ruan Zhu originally did not know about red sandalwood. But in college, one of her classmate’s families and she had gone to their house as a guest. Her friend had wanted to flaunt the item and had said that the box had been passed down in her family over a dozen generations and was more precious than one could ever imagine.

Yun Shi Yi came over with an elaborate case that was one chi[1] long and half a chi wide. The box was delicately engraved, the knife-work as fine as hair. It obviously had not been dyed but there were beautiful green stripes spread throughout the case. With one touch, one’s hand would slide against the glossy exterior, and a wisp of a serene aroma wafted into her nose. In a glance, it was obvious that this was a rare curio.

“This is green sandalwood.”

“Green sandalwood?” Ruan Zhu was startled. She hadn’t known that this sort of tree could also be found in China as she had always thought it only grew in the Americas.

Yun Shi Yi held a gold key and inserted it into the gold lock on top. Opening the lid, he took out a hefty stack of documents and offered it to her. Taking the documents, she realized they were house deeds, land deeds, and silver banknotes worth an exorbitant amount. Looking at these things that flaunted such a large amount of assets caused her to become dizzy.