Chapter 79

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi’s eyes were brimming tenderness as he gazed at his wife and she bore the full brunt of his affection and distress: “You and the children are the most important people in this world to me. There may not be the slightest mistake and in the future, you must absolutely protect yourself well.”

“Big Brother Lu, you are also my most important person.”

This was the first time Xuanyuan Zong Zhi had heard his wife express her love, and he was incredibly moved from contentment and joy. Though he had a thousand words he wanted to say, he couldn’t even spit out half of one and only dazedly stared at her.

The door to the room opened and Yun Shi Wei rushed in with a face full of fear: “Spouse, when I returned from the barracks, I heard some people had come to make trouble. Are you all right?”

“With everyone present, how could something have happened to me?” There were two males in the room and also Yun Shi Yi who was in the distant Lan Zhou–How privileged she was to be so dearly loved by all of these outstanding men.

Yun Shi Wei saw his wife smiling sweetly and released his breath.

The next day, Xuanyuan Zong Zhi sent someone to the palace to hand the old Emperor a memorial requesting a long vacation so he could accompany his wife at home until she had given birth. During this idle period, he visited Hua Nong Ying Glass Workshop to supervise the manufacturing process and also headed to Tian Wang Embassy to oversee its construction.

In accordance to Ruan Zhu’s idea, Yun Shi Wei established a special force and devoted all of his energy on training. However, in the days leading up to his wife’s expected delivery date, he tried to find as much time as possible to stay at home and accompany her.

Following the new year, on the evening of the fifteenth day of the first lunar month, Ruan Zhu gave birth to twins of mixed sex. It only took two sichen from the start of contractions to the end of delivery, and the entire process went very smoothly.

After going through the previous difficult labor, this time, Xuanyuan Zong Zhi had prepared very thoroughly. Imperial Physician Zhang and Wet Nurse Li had prematurely been invited over and had already stayed in the residence for several days, enjoying their good food and drinks.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi, Yun Shi Wei and Ruan Yu had anxiously waited in the outer room. Along with the wails of an infant in the delivery room–the elder brother arrived first and ten minutes later, the little sister also entered the world.

When the midwife yelled out: “A boy and a girl; a pair of mixed twins,” all of the ones waiting outside became jubilant.

“So it really was twins of mixed sex.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi was over the moon. His taut nerves that had been stretched thin over these several days finally obtained relief, and he impatiently entered the delivery room. Face beaming with joy, he took his son from Wet Nurse Li, then after a while, placed him down and picked up his daughter. Looking at the child’s rosy and small face, he was so happy, his mouth couldn’t even close: “Baby, quickly say ‘Pa,’ I am your Pa.”

It’d be a wonder if such a small baby could understand him! It seemed that no matter how extraordinary a man was, he would still have a childish side. Ruan Zhu’s strength had all been used up after delivering the children. Too lazy to pay attention to him, she fell asleep.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi placed particular importance on these two children and was the embodiment of a father showing off his pride and joy. He insisted on personally naming them. When Ruan Zhu had given birth to Zhi Xi, the naming privilege had been stolen by Father Ruan, and he was absolutely unwilling to let that happen this time.