Chapter 108

Ruan Zi Xu kneeled inside the imperial study. None of the palace eunuchs that passed through the room looked directly at him, and he secretly snuck a glance at the Emperor who was still reading memorials, his mind gloomy. Last night, he had still been asleep when several first-class imperial bodyguards had suddenly appeared and requested he disembark. They had used ‘request,’ but actually, there had been no room for discussion.

What was this? Since they had already dragged him over, just say what the matter was, and if there was nothing, just quickly let him return home. Why give him the cold-shoulder? Did he want his life, ah! He had knelt for too long and could feel neither of his two legs.

The Emperor put down the last memorial and raised his head to study the person kneeling in front of him before calling for an eunuch to pull the man over. Picking up the cup of fragrant tea on his imperial table for a sip, he stiffened his face: “Ruan Zi Xu, do you know your crime?”

Ruan Zi Xu was lost for words. He had been gone for so many years, so if one said he had offended the Emperor, what was it in regards to?

“Responding to Your Majesty, this subject does not know which crime was committed and only knows that great contributions had been made. To travel thousands of li with painstaking effort and acquire innumerable good horses–if Your Majesty has said this subject has sinned, this subject is afraid it can only be on the fact that this subject treats our Tian Chu too devotedly.”

The Emperor slanted his eyes: “It seems there is still anger in your heart, correct?”

Ruan Zi Xu huffed: “This subject does not dare.” No one would feel well if they had been roused from sleep in the middle of the night and then made to kneel for an extremely long period of time.

During these years on his travels, he had experienced quite a bit, gained extensive first-hand knowledge, and had met with many countries’ influential officials and even their leaders. If he had been summoned by the Emperor before he had left on his voyage, he would have definitely have felt it from the bottom of his heart, but now, he only felt anger. Having just returned from several years of wandering the world, it was too sad that he hadn’t even had the time to see his two precious daughters, ah!

“It is only that you do not dare to be angry. Your heart is very much provoked, correct?” The Emperor snorted and then observed the man kneeling beneath him. The more he inspected him, the more displeased he became. They all said females married out but were sons not also the same? Two of his own sons were not even willing to listen to him nowadays.

The Emperor searched through the papers on his desk before throwing one over, indifferently stating: “Sign this document and zhen will let you return.”

Ruan Zi Xu swept his eyes over the page. There were three clauses: 1, Change Ruan Yu Ze’s name to Xuanyuan Yu Ze; 2, Have Yun Shi Yi withdraw from the position of principle husband and cede it to Xuanyuan Zong Zhi; 3, From this day forward, they must leave Guan Ju Villa and move the entire family into the Prince of Qi’s princely residence inside the city.

The more Ruan Zi Xu read, the more confused he became. Who was Ruan Yu Ze? Xuanyuan Zong Zhi–just from the clan name of Xuanyuan, could it be that he was of the imperial clan? But he only knew of one called Xuanyuan Min Zhi who had been injured by Ruan Ju while in Yu Zhou and had resided in their home for a spell.

“Carefully persuade your daughter when you return. Do not let her be stubborn. That is all, you may leave!” The Emperor drove him out.

Ruan Zi Xu dragged his two numb legs out of the imperial study and then retrieved that piece of paper for another look. He still didn’t understand and decided he would wait until he had returned to ask his oldest daughter.