Chapter 73

Ruan Zhu bowed towards Empress Dowager Zheng: “Imperial Grandmother, Granddaughter-in-law begs for Imperial Grandmother to not spread this conversation outside of this hall. The imperial family recognizing one’s name is naturally a good thing, but it will also bring about a wealth of trouble.” She had not forgotten that in the country of Tian Chu, apart from her, there was also another transmigrator.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi added: “There are quite a few spies from the south hidden in the capital. If by chance they were to know of this, it would cause a bit of inconvenience for Zhu’er and may also endanger her life.”

Empress Dowager Zheng was annoyed: “If this dowager did not know this, why would this dowaer have driven out those people earlier?” She turned her head towards the several palace eunuchs standing behind her: “Whoever dares to spread this news outside will be beaten to death.”

“Us little ones do not dare.” The palace eunuchs hurriedly bowed in response, their faces tinted with solemnity and respect.

In China, there has always been the custom of inviting guests to stay for meal, no matter if it was actually time for one or not, and also not caring whether the guests were hungry or not. Even if the guests had just finished eating at their own home before paying someone a visit, they would still have to eat a bite.

Naturally, the dishes in the Ruan residence were not as good as the ones in the palace, but they won out in having a more lively and casual atmosphere, and as people became older, that was what they sought.

After joking until the residence was filled with laughter for the greater half of the day, Empress Dowager Zhen happily returned to the palace with her entourage.

Ruan Zhu was disastrously exhausted. Once the Elder had departed, she did not even inform anyone and returned to Yi Xin Residence where she immediately plopped onto the bed as soon as she saw it.

“Wife, today has been hard on you. I’ll have Imperial Physician Zhang come over tomorrow to examine you.” Xuanyuan Zong Zhi walked over and removed his wife’s shoes before placing both hands on either side of her waist, lightly massaging: “Imperial Grandmother had a great time today. The method you thought up was very good.”

Ruan Zhu had wanted to have the elder Empress Dowager leave while in a cheerful mood. The meal inevitably required special attention, but what sort of delicacies could not be eaten in the imperial palace? This problem had caused her to worry terribly, and finally, she had become annoyed and had the servants bring out the already-made dough and mincemeat so everyone could wrap dumplings together.

Empress Dowager Zheng had never seen such a spectacle. Immediately beaming at the novelty, she rolled up her sleeves and personally joined in.

Ruan Zhu’s plan was very in line with the Elder’s thoughts as eating dumplings that one personally wrapped brought about a unique sense of accomplishment. Empress Dowager Zheng took more as she ate, and when she left, she also took along a large case-full, saying she was going to take it back to the imperial palace as a midnight snack and have the kitchen pan-fry it for her to eat at night.

“All of you majestic nobles in the Nine Palaces have become accustomed to being aloof and remote, so occasionally experiencing the simple life of a commoner would naturally carry a distinctive experience. But using this method a few times is fine; overuse would only make it meaningless.”

“My wife is incredibly clever and surely has another method.”

“But of course.” She did have a few more ideas, but the majority of them could not be used. There was still another transmigrator in Tian Chu; but on the contrary, with her current strength, she was actually not that worried.