Chapter 96

There were several very well-known brothels on the banks of Lan River. Because Mei Qing Lou had two of the Four Great Masters in Lu Piao Xiang and Wan Zi Yu, they had continuously ranked first among all of the brothels. But several years ago after the departure of Lu Piao Xiang, their reputation had gradually decreased and their positional rank was then replaced by You Xiang Pavilion. However, the Pavilion’s Shen Zhong Yun was a useless one; female patrons flocked over because of his reputation but they never saw his shadow. As a result, they voiced their complaints and the Pavilion’s front courtyard was soon deserted. Their main bread-winning mister was not very popular so for a lack of a better option, the boss spent an enormous sum to buy Feng Qing Bai from Qi Meng Garden.

In consideration of the ruckus from last time, Ruan Zhu brought along Xing Yun and Liu Shui. Because Nuan Chun stayed in the residence every day taking care of steward duties and tidying accounts books, she was afraid he would become a fool from being stuck indoors all day and had also pulled him outside.

It was possible to travel upstream from Guan Ju Villa to You Xiang Pavilion and it was only a distance of twenty minutes, but the time frame was enough for Ruan Zhu to understand the origin of her younger sister’s gloominess.

“During that time we moved to Lan Zhou, I stayed bored at home every day because I did not have any friends so would often go to Ci Ji Hall to donate some clothes, silver, and whatnot. One day when I was exiting Ci Ji Hall, I wanted to stroll around when heavy rain suddenly poured down and I searched for a residence’s eaves……” Ruan Yu spoke up to here and lifted her eyes to peek at her sister.

“You can’t have met without any reason; there must some story here.” Ruan Zhu nodded understandingly and spoke on her behalf: “Thus, that Shen Zhong Yun also approached to avoid the rain?”

Ruan Yu gave her a displeased glance: “Shen Zhong Yun had already been there to avoid the rain. I was the one that arrived after.”

Ruan Zhu saw that she had stopped the conversation: “And then?”

“And then……and then it was avoiding the rain……When the rain stopped, we each went on our way……”

Ruan Zhu looked at her in surprise: “That’s it?”

“That’s it.” Ruan Yu looked at her in a huff and angrily said: “What else did you think happened? Don’t be so dirty-minded.”

She of course would not mention what she had experienced during that time. That man with such a simple and elegant air, in order to not let her be soaked, had yielded the majority of the space to her. His clothes had then consequently become wet on one side but he had still carried a gentle and relaxed smile.

The heavy rain had poured down for half a sichen; they had stood there together for half a sichen.

He had occasionally glanced over at her and her heart had been full of happiness as she could see that he liked her. Or at least didn’t dislike her.

Before they had parted, she had summoned her courage and clearly revealed that she would come again.

But afterwards, she had waited in front of Ci Ji Hall multiple times and never saw him.

She had never believed in love at first sight before and had thought it was just something in picture books used to trick little children. But since meeting him, she sometimes felt bubbly, sometimes dejected, like she was happy or sad, and she became troubled and perplexed by all of those moods and emotions.

She knew there must have been a reason why he had appeared at that time and she finally saw him one day walking out of a residence in the vicinity of Ci Ji Hall.