Chapter 27: Pleasure Boat

Every spring season, the people that had been cooped up in the city for the winter all flowed outside the city gates in groups to bask in the natural scent of the grassy fields and hire a pleasure boat to go sightseeing.

This was the time when Lan River was most bustling with activity. The bazaar and temple fairs were all taking advantage of this period to collect money. Many peddlers walked around, shouting for passerbys to buy the local specialties of Lan Zhou. Furthermore, there were a few street troupes and jugglers that would start performing upon coming to an area crowded with people by arranging makeshift public venues.

On Lan River, there were innumerable small boats with sails that looked that specks against the blue waves. On the multitude of beautifully decorated pleasure boats, there was bound to be a few that held banquets for the sake of conducting blind dates or for poetry clubs. All the young misters of each family were dressed in bright and clean clothing, leisurely waving a fan with one hand while long swords were strapped to their waists, full of an heroic and outstanding air.

All the young madams and misses also took this chance to look for their ideal husband. Whether they were looking for a principal husband or a secondary husband, it all depended on their own ability and the status of the other party. If both parties were willing, a matchmaker would be dispatched to link the two together. If one party was not willing, just simply turn one’s head and re-select.

Ruan Zhu had transmigrated not too recently, so how could she know of these things? She came out merely to enjoy the fun. Because she was still considered a bride, her appearance was delicate and colorful. She wore a lake blue skirt made out of diaphanous muslin, embroidered with small pinkish white orchids. Paired with the head ornaments she had forged at Ming Xiang Cui Yu that accentuated her delicate features, her entire appearance was unspeakably eye-catching.

Yun Shi Yi carried her down the carriage. The young man couldn’t help but have his eyes linger on her body as he took in her stunning appearance. He once again felt proud in his heart and pleased with himself and carefully rearranged her slightly rumpled clothing.

“The pleasure boat I rented is not lacking in anything, so do not hesitate to play to your heart’s content. Once this husband has finished settling work matters in the city, I will come and accompany you here.” As she had just come to Lan Zhou and had yet to make friends, Yun Shi Yi was worried that she would become bored and stuffy staying at home all day so had suggested they go out for the day. Unfortunately, he once again couldn’t accompany her. He had partnered with a friend earlier to import a batch of Phoebe zhennan wood[a] from the South. Not wanting it to be detained by the corrupt local authorities in Liu Zhou, he was currently planning to send men to negotiate and resolve the situation.

Yun Shi Yi’s face was bright and clear as if he had been cleansed by a spring wind but Ruan Zhu still noticed a trace of melancholy in his face. Feeling a bit worried, she feigned a light tone and said: “Then you have to hurry, ah~ Don’t wait until the gates are closed, leaving me alone on board. At that time when I leave with others, where would you look for me?”

Yun Shi Yi caressed her fine jet-black hair and saw that in her beautifully coiled suiyunji hairstyle, an unusual gold buyao that he knew she had personally designed was inserted. He praised his young wife’s aesthetics in his mind–this style of buyao has never been worn by anyone else.

Ever since they got married, it seems they’ve never gone on an outing together! He was reluctant to leave, embracing her for a while longer. The tip of his tongue brushing against her ear, he murmured: “Wife, I will rush over as quickly as possible.”

Ruan Zhu’s heart felt as sweet as honey and her eyes flickered with affection. In a low voice: “Eldest Cousin, I want to be alone with you tonight. Don’t let Second Cousin come over.”