Chapter 114: The Married Life 2

I had a ceremonial cape draped over my entire body and my head supported a phoenix crown weighing three catties. It painfully pressed down and I felt like my neck could snap at any moment. Under the protection of an assembly of respectful palace eunuchs, I took calm and collected steps with the distinctive gracefulness and noble bearing of an empress into Xuan De Hall.

The New Year’s banquet was currently being held in the main hall with civil and military officials neatly sitting on either side. Upon my arrival, they all stood up to salute.

Xuanyuan Zong Zhi’s head bore the golden dragon crown and he sported the dazzling dragon robes, his entire person radiating with the dignity of the emperor He faintly smiled at my entrance and rose from the Dragon Throne to lead me to it, where we sat down, side by side.

I don’t remember when it was established, but the Empress of Tian Chu had the right to engage in politics and her authority in morning court was no less than the Emperor’s.

Half a year ago when our large household had returned from traveling the world, we were greeted with an imperial edict from the old emperor regarding inheritance. Despite never taking the position of Crown Prince, Zong Zhi had been directly appointed from his title as the Prince of Qi to the eminent status of the Emperor. I naturally then became Empress.

Shi Yi’s position as the principal husband could not be shaken. The old Emperor had finally understood that and conceded. Thus, Zong Zhi became the sole emperor in the history of Tian Chu to ascend the throne as a concubine. But no one dared to look down on him. Shortly after his ascension, he punished an entire faction of dishonest courtiers. From then on, whatever the Emperor ordered, his loyal subjects obeyed.

Xuan De Hall was luxuriant, with sixty-four large chandeliers suspended from the ceiling that illuminated the hall as if it was day. Indeed, it was a dazzling array of light that painted the room in glorious splendor.

Imperial banquets were naturally grand, breathtaking, refined, and luxurious; otherwise, they wouldn’t be able to display the imperial family’s prestige and honor.

I caught sight of Yun Shi Yi among the subjects. He was currently watching me with eyes expressing his affection. Lightly smiling at him, my eyes wandered. Min Zhi, Shi Wei, Jing Yan–they were also all among the crowd. Jing Yan was currently the prime minister, Shi Wei was the head of the Bureau of Military Affairs, and Min Zhi had entered the Hall of Government Affairs.[a]

After I became Empress, Shi Yi seldom went on long voyages. Even if he had to travel overseas, it would only be to the several small countries near the coast. He was currently the one who called the shots in Tian Chu’s markets, with wealth that rivaled a nation’s. But he donated the majority of it to charity and was highly regarded in both Tian Chu and the surrounding countries.

“Greetings to His Imperial Majesty and Her Imperial Majesty.” The leads were present. Under the loud cry of the palace eunuch in charge of ceremony and etiquette, all the attendees stood up and performed the rites.

“Rise, my dear officials, and be seated!” Zong Zhi’s crisp voice rang out, but it seemed to contain a gloominess and depth that revealed a venerated emperor’s aura amidst its indifference.

I glanced at the delicacies on the table, my lips faintly pressing into a lovely smile. Ever since Shi Yi led the merchants to call for plants to be grown in greenhouses, the average commoner could also eat fresh vegetables in the wintry twelfth lunar month.

I saw quite a few court officials swallow their saliva, most likely hungry. But the Son of Heaven hadn’t touched his chopsticks thus no one dared to have a taste. I wanted to discreetly remind Zong Zhi, but he directed some words towards Xiao Xi Zi, who was by his side: “The foreign envoys may have their audience now.”