Chapter 22: Returning to the Residence

The reason why she was able to clearly understand and define the values of gold and silver was due to both of them having market value. If they were exchanged with porcelain or jade, then it would become difficult to bargain. Porcelain was divided into two types–Guan ware[a] and private commercial ware or commoner ware. These two were not the same product thus the price was also not the same. As for jade, that was even more complicated. It was not something she, a female proletariat that had crossed over, would know about.

The woman became gloomy. Spreading her hands, she persuaded: “Then Little Sister also has to let me profit some. It’s not easy to earn capital. Look, I’m just a poor woman with a large household to provide for. That small amount of silver is not enough for my family to eat a few meals with.”

Ruan Zhu faintly smiled: “Older Sister really knows how to tell a joke. My country of Tian Chu is populous and affluent and Lan Zhou is also famous for being the land of fish and rice[b]. While it is not likely that many of the common people are well-off, if one saves well, ten taels of silver is sufficient to pay the expenses of an ordinary family with ten mouths for one whole year. Not to mention, this one terribly admires Older Sister. With one wag of your tongue, Older Sister is able to earn a year’s worth of living expenses. This Little Sister is still worried about surviving in the future!”

Relying on a man to live was not dignified. Wanting to start a business that hasn’t even taken shape yet, one must properly take care of all the checkpoints necessary to start that business. When eating, use some food as an offering to the god of wealth. If one doesn’t pray at the temple properly, unnecessary trouble may come knocking. Being a transmigrator was also not easy, ah!

The woman wailed as she covered her face: “Little Sister, you’ve also seen it. My little shop doesn’t resemble anything. I was planning on using the hard-earned capital from these three chastity belts to improve my storefront. In any case, Little Sister has to leave a way open for me, ah.”

Ruan Zhu deadpanned: “How you want to change the store’s design seems to have nothing to do with me, correct? If I am to buy something, the price must be reasonable and fair. No cheating, no stealing. We are conducting a monetary transaction. If you agree, I’ll buy it. If you don’t, we can forget about this.”

Saying how pitiful you were was useless. I’m not here to be charitable. If you really were starving on the side of the road, then I might be hospitable and help you a bit. But it was extremely obvious that your current situation was much more well-off than how I was in the previous world. Let’s not talk about a gold chastity belt. The previous me would not even have had the chance to see a stainless steel one.

The woman placed her hand on the table and knocked on it, repeatedly howling in grief: “Little Sister, just add five more taels for a total of eighty-five taels of silver. No matter what you do, I won’t sell any lower.”

She still wanted to bargain! Ruan Zhu couldn’t help but to smile.

No matter how good a product was, one still had to look at where it was being sold. If these belts were being sold at Ming Xiang Cui Yu, then they would have a different price tag. A modern product sold in a third-rate store was bound to have third-rate prices–it was the same concept.

This woman described herself as pathetic but Ruan Zhu knew this was simply a trick merchants liked to use. She laughed: “At most, I’ll add two taels of silver. Don’t underestimate these two taels! They’re enough to buy a few hundred catties of rice, more than enough to last a small family for a long time~”

Ruan Zhu took out a silver banknote worth one hundred taels and placed it on top of the table while she gazed at the other party. The meaning was: the price was exactly what we had discussed so do as you saw fit and stop trying to waste time.