Chapter 98

“He has seen me before? Then why do I not know about it?” Ruan Zhu searched and searched her brain but did not remember someone called Mister Wang.

“You are this dumb and your memory is also bad beyond reason. It would be a wonder if you knew about it. And there is only me that is utterly out of luck to be taken in as your concubine. If it was any other person, how pathetic would they have it, hmm?” Zong Zhi shook his head, pity apparent in his eyes: “I have told him that he must treat such a big matter as marriage cautiously and carefully as taking a wife is by no means the same as practicing a skill. But he is just a stubborn one. Wife, how could there be such a stupid man?”

Ruan Zhu angrily stared at her wisecracking husband, thinking about how she should punish him.

Zong Zhi pressed a kiss against his daughter’s rosy face: “Xiao Ya, you must not learn from your dummy Ma. Learn from Papa; see how Papa is so clever?”

Ruan Zhu stood up from the stone platform and walked in front of him, pulling Bo Ya from his arms: “Xiao Ya, be good. Ma will take you to have a nap. Don’t pay any attention to your perverted Papa.” Hugging her daughter, she headed towards Yi Zhu Cottage.

“Wife, you wish to flee as you cannot win with words?”

“When did that happen?” Ruan Zhu exclaimed as she walked: “The lagging flowers intentionally pursue the flowing water, yet the flowing water has no intention of becoming attached to the falling flowers. My heart faces the moon but how could the moon illuminate a moat? There are that many senseless men in the world. Lord, Zhu’er, is powerless. Don’t come over tonight; I’ll go accompany Nuan Chun.”

“Ai, Wife, sure enough, you memory is truly terrible. My three days are not over yet, hmm?”

What came in response was the sound of footsteps gradually growing further away.

Zong Zhi mumbled to himself: “Wife created yet another good poem. I must recite it and show it to Emperor-Father tomorrow during morning court.” Thinking about how his wife could increase her reputation again, his eyes overflowed with pride.

After Ruan Zhu coaxed Bo Ya to sleep, she stepped out of Yi Zhu Cottage. Taking Nuan Chun with her out of Guan Ju Villa, she spent the entire afternoon at her high-tech demonstration field.

With regards to agriculture, she was also adept in this field and had spent an enormous sum to invite agricultural experts from all over the country. Using her own knowledge to guide them, they had already achieved pretty good results from after experimenting once last year and again this year.

One of this era’s fields could produce approximately one dan or perhaps even two dan of foodstuffs–this was precisely one to two hundred catties.

With the rice seeds that she had modified, it was possible to harvest three dan of foodstuffs from one field that had been planted last autumn. However, this still wasn’t enough. A single field in modern China could produce sixteen hundred catties of food but she would be satisfied with only half of that output.

The experts that she had invited were all farmers that had been planting for the greater majority of their lives. They had never heard that combining different types of seeds in one field where there was no arrangement of where pairs were planted could increase the yield. But after obtaining a pretty good result from last year’s experiment, they strove to work even harder with the desire of increasing the output further by this coming autumn.

“Our country’s fields have an output of approximately one to two dan and on average, three paddies can support one person. If a household has ten mouths, then that would require thirty fields. But for the majority of the poor commoners, where would that much arable land come from? If all of the civilians were able to plant exceptionally good rice types, then the yield will suddenly become several times that. Think about it, what should be done in this case?”