Chapter 70

Yun Shi Wei’s right hand was around his wife; his left played with her full breasts while his crow-black eyes were full of infatuation. He only responded after a good while: “After returning to Lan Zhou, Eldest Brother took care of the matters of business while helping Maternal Uncle open shops and I followed him in both ventures to gain experience. Uncle’s shops are numerous–there are some based on jewels and precious stones; on silk; on porcelain; on restaurants; and there’s also two pawn shops. Eldest Brother has many acquaintances in Lan Zhou and has a wide network. Many things require him to personally run them. He’s so busy, his feet often don’t touch the ground and he is unable to sleep at night. However, he has always thought of you and not long after, bought a large seven courtyard compound on the banks of the Lan River that, after going through renovations, is even more beautiful than when it was first constructed. It’s only waiting for you to move in. It wasn’t until last month when the majority of the work was put in order that I was sent to the capital to bring you and Zhi Xi back to our old home, saying to take advantage of the weather still being warm to hurry and go as going on a journey when it’s cold is more difficult.”

Ruan Zhu’s eyes were covered up by a layer of fog. Her waist tightened–it was Xuanyuan Zong Zhi who had hugged her from the back. Slighting turning her head, she caught sight of his eyes that were brimming with concern.

She inwardly sighed. To be the wife of three men and not leaning in any direction was rather difficult. But now that she was currently pregnant, she was afraid that if she wanted to return, it would have to wait until the first month of the next year when the child had been born.

“Spouse, do you still remember that thing?” Yun Shi Wei smiled triumphantly and sat up excitedly from the bed as he picked up Ruan Zhu with a lift of his arms and placed her in his lap.

“Remember what?”

“When we were at the southern border and you wanted Eldest Brother to stockpile food. After that, Eldest Brother wrote a letter home. The letter was sent back to the Yun family manor and Father and Mother attached special importance to it. The silver wasn’t enough so they borrowed a large sum from a relative and spent a good amount to buy foodstuffs so that the warehouses at home were all bursting. They also rented a few more storehouses and filled those completely. When we were returning to Lan Zhou from the capital, it happened to coincide with the most critical period of the famine. The monsoons continued without stopping and farmlands in many places flooded. Because of the previous year’s drought, the harvest also was not good and the commoners long had nothing to eat, and more and more refugees fled to Lan Zhou. Prices rose several times and the price of grain soared even more without restraint. Complaints were openly voiced and many commoners reached the point where they were forced to eat tree bark. At this time, Eldest Brother came out under the Yun family name to stabilize the market and sold the grain at a price that was higher than when it was originally bought. Not only did we profit well, the loan was paid back in full, and he also gained a good reputation.”

There was no news that could be better than this. Ruan Zhu remained silent as she smiled, full of joy, and listened attentively.

In the midst of his jealousy, Xuanyuan Zong Zhi was pleased. He was both jealous of the attention and emotion she gave Yun Shi Yi, but seeing her happy, his heart felt gratified. At this moment, he did not want to disturb her. Draping a cloak over himself, he stepped to the outer courtyard, instructed servants to prepare bath water, and then grabbed a book and sat in front of the window, from time to time glancing at the figures inside.

“Spouse, you don’t know this, but in Lan Zhou, as long as you mention Yun Shi Yi, there is not one person who does not know him. They all say he has the heart of Buddha and is their great hero of salvation. Even those government officials are polite and respectful when they see Eldest Brother.”