A Mile Away

After school, I had to sit by the front and wait for Zach to pick me up.

It was October so it was pretty cold outside.

"Shit," I said zipping up my sweater all the way and wrapping my arms around myself to keep warm.

Once it's been about twenty-five minutes, I decided to just walk home.

As soon as I get up the doors next to me from the school open and I see Robin walking out with an instrument case.

"Hey Mary," she says looking confused. "You're still here?"

"Uh- yeah. My ride bailed," I say.

"Oh damn. I'm sorry. If you need a ride I can help?"

"Oh no no no that's not necessary," I tell her honestly.

She just looks at me for a second before responding.

"How far do you live?"

"Like..." I don't even know how to continue. "It's like a mile or two away," I say pointing to my right down the road.

"No. Uh-uh. I'm giving you a ride," she says firmly."

"Rob-"

"Come on Mary!" She says walking away.

Damn it.

We start walking to the parking lot and she walks up to this car where a guy is sitting in it.

"Hello Steve," she says with a cheeky smile.

He just looks up at her annoyed.

"You gonna get in?" He says after a second.

"Steve, I made a friend today,' she says before pulling me to her. "This is Mary. Mary, this is Steve the 'Hair' Harrington."

"N-Nice hair," I say after a moment of silence.

"Thanks," he says flatly whilst staring at me.

"My friend here needs a ride because hers bailed and it's freezing out here."

He grows more cringed and annoyed by the end of her sentence. His mouth is opened like he wants to object but can't.
He looks back at me and I simply smile. Not really knowing what to say.

"Fine. Get in."

She thanks him and waves for me to get in.

"Thanks," I say from the back feeling like a dick.

I just see him pull a forced smile through the rearview as he pulls out and starts to drive.

"Soooo...what's your plan for Halloween?" She asks.

I notice Steve look at her like she's crazy for a second.

I guess I get why. It's like the third day of October.

"Umm...nothing yet. Don't think I'll do much. Probably stay home and watch scary movies."

"You should come with us!" She says excitedly.

"What?" Steve whispers at her.

I notice her pinch him and he breaths in heavenly before she points to the way I told her I lived so he can turn.

"I mean I know it's early but there's this Halloween party that this girl at our school always throws. It's big and like a lot of people go. She hasn't announced it yet but I'm sure she'll do it if she's done it every year. Especially now since it's her last year."

I didn't want to sound lame and say I have to ask my mother. In the end, I'll just say there's an emergency if needed.

"Sure," I say with a smile.