Not anymore

We got there and there were a couple of people. Mostly guys who watched us in curiosity. Mainly at Eddie which I found surprising since he didn't go all out today. He's wearing a plain black tee with his sweat pants.

He signs us up and pays for both of us.

I never say anything to him about paying for me because I know he would never let me pay regardless but I hate that he always does when we do something.

That is if we're even paying.

"You have a hair tie?" I ask him and he shakes his head sheepishly.

I sigh and give him the one I have around my wrist. I don't know why I carry one when my hair isn't that long and I don't use it, but I do. It's longer than before though. Definitely a bit longer than when I met him.

He ties his hair back and goes with me to wait for the last section of people to finish their race so we can go.

"So what are you driving?"

He looks at me with pinched brows then smirks.

"We're both driving."

Oh...

"Ah."

"Don't worry," he says immediately placing both hands on mine. "It's gonna be fun and trust me, it's not hard. Just press down on the pedal to accelerate and let go when you wanna slow down."

"Don't they go fast though?"

"Well..yeah," he says blinking twice like what I've said shocks him.

It should. It was a stupid comment. Of course, you go fast.

"That's kinda the point Mary," he goes chuckling.

I pull a forced smile to amuse him.

"You'll do fine," he says once more before placing a kiss on my head.

After ten minutes or so they finished and we went passed these gates keeping us separated from the track and picked our little cars.

I felt my palms sweaty as the worker buckled me in.

I look over across from me at Eddie who was pulling a smile trying to encourage me to be excited.

I try but it's hard. I've never done this before and I don't want to be the person here who fucks it up or something.

I'll probably crash into a car or something. Start a whole line of collisions putting a stop to the race.

"Hey," I hear next to me.

I turn to see Eddie clearly taking a deep breath.

"Just breath," he says.

I follow his instructions and take deep breaths.

"That's it," I hear him say and I start to feel a bit better.

I can see people watching us.

"Ignore them," he says looking at me as a big smirk spreads across his face. "This is gonna be fun."

Not long after the worker announces the race is going to start and instructs us on how to drive and steer. To not bump into anyone else and what to do in case of an emergency.

Once the rules were all spread out you can hear a countdown and the little traffic lights go from red to orange and then green once the countdown is over.

I stepped on the pedal and it was scary at first but I started to get the hang of it. I started feeling less afraid and more exhilarated.

The wind against my face felt so great and I was pressing on the pedal harder.
Eventually, I see Eddie pass by me laughing and sticking his tongue out.