Four Chimes

After Nancy had calmed down she didn't hesitate to climb through. Then Steve came along and we all agreed to take a moment to ourselves before hassling Nancy with questions about what happened.

So that's what we're doing.

They all headed over to Max's and Eddie told Steve we'd stick back at his place. Just the two of us for a moment and he nodded.

Eddie found a beer in his fridge and started chugging it down.

I was sat across from him at the kitchen counter.

I looked around and smiled, reminded of the mornings here with him and Wayne.

I turn to him and he's just staring intensely at a certain coffee cup.

"Hey," I say softly. "Whatcha thinking about?" I ask.

He turns to me and shakes his head.

"You know, I'm sure he's alright. I highly doubt he'd think anything bad of you," I tell him, already knowing what's going on in his head before he pulls a smile as he continues to stare at the cup.

"No, I know he doesn't. That's not why I'm worried."

"No?"

He shakes his head and stands up straight. Takes a swing out of his beer before looking at me and answering.

"It's because I know he doesn't. He's probably worried sick and...and I hate that it's because of me," he says honestly looking down at his feet.

I frown and reach over to touch his fingers on the bottle.

He looks up at me.

"I promise we're going to figure this out. We'll make up something and pretty soon you'll explain some crazy story to him," I say optimistically and he just pulls a forced smile and takes a step back.

"Hey, come on. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. You just keep saying that and...I don't know if it's gonna work out," he says looking away from me.

I look at him confused.

"Of course it is."

"Even if we figure this out...I'm still wanted for murder," he finally goes looking at me like he's amused by it.

I get up and walk around the counter to him.

Look him in the eye and hold onto his hands.

"We'll figure this out," I say firmly to him again.

I'm not going to lie and say I have a plan because I don't, but I am being a hundred percent honest when I say we will think of something.

I smile at him and run my hand on his cheek and he offers me a little one.

It goes silent and I start thinking about some things.

He's not totally crazy for worrying about that though.

Even if we clear his name. People already see him as a freak. There's no doubt that there will be some people who still talk about him in a nasty way. Who will still think he's a killer. He wouldn't have anything going for him here and I've been thinking about after all this is said and done.

I don't want to go back to how things are with my mom. I don't want to struggle with her and I don't want this life necessarily.

Not with her. I could be doing so much more and so can he.

We could do it together.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something," I tell him, and his brows lowered a bit as he nods letting me go on.