Unambiguous

I'm watching my step as I keep looking up back at her.

She seemed mad and I can't blame her, but I don't know what to say. So I stayed back.

She's talking to Robin and Nancy up ahead.

I wish she wasn't here. I want her to go home and forget about all of this. I would tell her now but I know it's no good. When Mary gets something in her head, she can be stubborn as hell. You won't get her to change her mind.

I wanted her to come with me earlier when we were back at the house but now I've realized how much of a stupid idea that was.

Now she's probably in trouble with the cops, she hasn't seen her brother who she left on a bad foot, and she's in danger. She doesn't need this shit and it's all my fault.

"Eddie-Eddie. Hey, man...uh," I turn to see Steve catch up to me. "Listen I just uh..I wanted to say thanks," he tells me and I look at him confused.

The hell is he thanking me for?

"For saving my ass back there."

"Shit. You saved your own ass, man," I tell him truthfully.

I just saved myself...and Mary.

"I mean, that was a real Ozzy move you pulled back there," I tell him even though it pains me to say it.

He looks at me confused.

"Ozzy?"

"When you took a bite out of that bat," I say looking at him with wide eyes.

Tell me this guy doesn't know Ozzy...

"Ozzy Osbourne?"

He still looks lost.

"Black Sabbath?" I keep adding.

Nothing.

"He- he bit a bats head off onstage."

"I don't-"

"No?"

"No."

I go shutting up for a second.

"It's very metal, what you did. That's all I'm saying," I tell him with a little nod as I look ahead making sure not to step on one of these weird alien-looking vines.

"Thanks," he simply says.

It got awkwardly quiet and I didn't know what to say.

I could try not being a dick to him. I really do appreciate that he was there for Mary.

"Henderson told me you were a badass," I say first trying to warm up to mentioning Mary, making him look at me. "Insisted on the matter, in fact."

"Wait- Henderson said that?"

"Oh yeah. Shit. Kid worships you, dude," I say sourly. "Like...you have no idea."

He looks away like he's trying to hide how much it means to him.

I stop and sigh.

"Also..I know you've been helping Mary. You've been there for her and Um...well I just want to say-thanks."

I go avoiding his gaze.

He pulls a little smile and nods.

We start walking again.

"You know..it's kind of annoying, and I don't even know why I care what they think of you but uh, I guess I got a little jealous, Steve," I say pulling a fake smile.