The party

"Psst."

"If you turn to page one hundred then you'll see.."

"Psst."

I turn around to Josie who's trying to get my attention.

"Yeah?" I whisper back at her. Looking at the teacher at the same time to make sure she doesn't see.

"I saw your mural," she states and I don't know what to say.

"Yeah?"

"It looks cool. Very different from what we ever had before."

"Thanks," I say with a smile.

"So...I'm throwing a party this Friday. My parents are heading off in the morning to New York to visit family."

I furrow my brows in confusion.

"You're not going with them?"

"Nah. It's boring and they don't care at this point. They say I'm old enough to stay and they don't want to hear me complain."

Okay.

"Oh."

"Anyway. I wanted to invite you."

"Really?"

"Yeah of course. You always help me out in here and..god knows I need it."

I try not to chuckle.

"So? You're free to bring anyone.." she says giving me a knowing look. "Even geeky long-hair guitar-playing boyfriends."

I roll my eyes.

"Thanks, Josie. I'll see if I can go," I say with a smile.

"Great," she says with a little proud smile.

I don't hide my laugh and that's when the teacher clears his throat.

"Josie, Marilyn. Anything you want to share with the rest of the class?" He questions as I turn to sit facing forwards.

"Just talking about the good ol' lesson Mr. Harthem," Josie says with a smile. "You may continue," she says making a couple of students laugh and others watch her in amusement.

Mr. Harthem looks at her very much annoyed.

"Eyes forward Josie," he says firmly before looking at me. "You as well Davis."

I just nod and press my lips together.

*

I grabbed my lunch and started to head to Robin but I couldn't help but notice there weren't as many students in the cafeteria.

I turn over and see that Eddie and his friends aren't at their table either.

I walk out and head to Robin.

She looks at me with a weird smirk.

"What?"

"It seems you've gotten very popular," she tells me.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"You didn't hear the special morning announcement?"

"No..I was late."

I came home a bit late which my mom wasn't too happy with. I ate late and slept late as well due to finishing homework and studying for the midterm for tomorrow.

"Well, a certain Art teacher let the school know about the amazing piece that Marilyn Davis finished. She encouraged the students to go check it out."

I laugh nervously.

"There's no way people care that much about a stupid piece."

She twists her face in confusion.