The Brother

It's Thursday and I'm a bit nervous because Eddie is coming over to meet Zach today. Since he has to pick me up.

I told Zach about Eddie's band and left out a detail of where exactly it'll be. I just told him it'll be a little late around eight and that I'd be back before midnight.

He wasn't exactly happy about it. So he told me if he was going to cover for me, he wanted to meet him.

I agreed so Eddie's going to come and meet him quickly before we head off to his place to get ready. It's going to be quick. Hopefully. Especially since my mom gets home around five and he can't be here by then.

He's nervous. I know he is. Even though he won't admit it.

It's lunch now and I'm heading over to go talk to him but when I get to his table he wasn't there.

"Hey," I say to Dustin and the rest of the guys.

"Hey," they just say nonchalantly before continuing their conversations. "Where's Eddie?" I ask nicely.

"You tell us?" Gareth asks calmly but very much annoyed.

Gareth doesn't seem to like me much. I can tell by the way he talks to me. He didn't mind me too much back when I met him but things have changed. I try to be nice though but I guess I can see why they'd be upset. I have been stealing their best friend lately.

"Did you guys hang out yesterday?" I ask Gareth.

He doesn't respond. Just continues eating and I see Jeff look at him a certain way.

"Yes, we did," he answered for him. "We practiced a bit together. Especially for today."

I just smiled and nodded.

Good. I'm glad they spent time together. We couldn't regardless because I had work. I did end up letting Steve and Keith who was there miraculously know that I couldn't come in Friday. He was fine with it. I'm surprised I'm not fired by now. I've called out like three times in the span of a month and a half.

"That's good. I'm excited to see you guys tonight. Your band sounded great the last time I heard. You guys are really something," I say with a smile but they seem to look at me confused.

Jeff looks a bit shocked. Gareth looks annoyed and Fred just looks done.

"He's bringing her?" Fred says talking to them like I'm not there.

"Are you really surprised?" Gareth responds, shoving his fork aggressively into his salad.

Jeff looks at them very much annoyed.

"Don't mind them. It'll be great to have your support," he says with a smile.

I try my best to pull mine before I excuse myself and walk away.

*

"You okay?" Eddie asks as we start to drive to my house.

"Yeah. Fine."

"Okay, because I'm the one who should be scared right now," he says half serious.

"I'm telling you, he's gonna love you," I say with a smile.

"Let's hope so," he just says grabbing my hand.

I smile and after a moment I couldn't help but bring this up before we get to my place.

"Hey, so..have you been blowing your friends off for me?"

He doesn't say anything but I can see him clench his jaw.

"Because I don't want you to not hang out with your friend because of me. We don't need to hang out all the time you know," I say looking at him but he just frowns and pulls his hand away.