More Than A Friend

Normally Zach works late nights but he has today off so we stayed out later than he would've if he had work.

As soon as we got home though, late from going out to eat and just hanging out, my mother was out front smoking a cigarette.

I sighed as we walked up to her.

She didn't look at me and after what Zach said I didn't want to lash out.
I thought about putting myself in her shoes and I understand why she would be upset.

She didn't say anything to me or Zach when we got there. Not talking to me was normal but she always talks to Zach. Asks him how his day was. So that showed how upset she really was.

He just strolled passed her in the house. Didn't make an effort to talk either.

I stop next to her hoping to get her to look at me which she doesn't.

"Mom?" I whisper and I can see the air from my breath as I speak pass through the air.

It's cold outside.

"Mom...Zach told me about his plan. For college," I say and she still ignores me. "I get why you're upset but I just wanted to let you know that I'm here."

She just smiles.

It's not really a happy smile for what I said though. More of an amused one.

She just turns to me and blows smoke in my direction. She puts the cigarette out on the railing without looking and then tosses it.
All while keeping her eyes on me before walking into the house without saying a word.

I stand outside trying to not get upset over that.

I don't know what I was expecting. A thank you? It's just a good thing I didn't mention the job. That I'm sure she would have more words to speak on.

I sigh and walk in only to see she's not there. She must've gone to her room now.

I head to the kitchen and grab a brownie since it was a bit late and I didn't really have an appetite.

I head to my room and close the door.

I take a bite and as I turn around I nearly have a heart attack.

I drop my brownie as I gasp seeing Eddie.

He quickly places his hand over my mouth.

I start to cough and his face twists as if in pain watching me as I choke on my piece of brownie.

I look down coughing with my hands on my knees trying to calm down.

That's when I hear footsteps approaching my room.

I widen my eyes and push Eddie out of view as the door opens a bit.

"Mary? You okay?" Zach asks standing in the doorway looking at me concerned.

"Wha-Yup. Yeah. Just...choked on.." I look down at the brownie making him look.
"On a brownie."

He looks at me with his brows furrowed as I press my lips together in a thin line.

"You choked..on a brownie?"

"Mmm..yeah."

He looks behind me and back at me.

"I thought I heard someone here with you."

Shit.

"Nope. Just me."

He looks at me not convinced.

"Okay I know I kept a job from you and mom but what do you take me for? Sneaking someone in here?" I turn it back on him looking at him like he's crazy.