Forgetting

It's been a couple of days and I haven't spoken to Max much but I do talk with Robin a bit more.

Today is Sunday though and Zach told me he made a friend at work so he's going out for drinks and wouldn't be home for a while.

I was a bit surprised but we have been here for two weeks and he's worked for the majority of that time.

I wish I started school sooner but my mother pushed me to stay home and help her tidy everything up. Especially while she would work, when she didn't have the time to. So putting away the clothes and moving in was kinda up to me. Well...unboxing was mainly.

Also, I think it was just that she hadn't enrolled me in the first place. She forgot but she wouldn't admit that to me.

It's five in the afternoon and my mom isn't home yet so I decide to go out and ride my skateboard I haven't ridden since we moved here.

I grab my keys and lock the door behind me before I start to ride off down the road.

It feels nice to have the wind hitting me. I thanked myself internally for bringing a sweater since it was pretty cold out.

As I roll down the streets for a while and make a bunch of turns I end up in a trailer park.

That's when I realized I've probably gone a bit too far. I turn around and just as I'm about to drop my board and head back I hear my name being called.

"Mary?"

I turn to see Max standing outside of one of the trailers.

"Hey..." I say awkwardly as I walk up to her.

"What are you doing way out here?"

"Oh just...strolling," I say looking down at my board.

She looks at it and smiles.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing I just- I like your board."

"You skate?"

"I used to.." she says with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Oh well...maybe it's for the best if you're anything like me...I've seemed to be lost already."

"Hmm...I'm sure you can find your way back. I would help but I don't exactly know where you live so..."

"No-yeah," I say chuckling.

There's a loud slam and we both turn to look at a trailer across from hers. I noticed that guy from the other day at lunch.

He's not looking at me but I can tell it's him by the long hair and the black leather jacket.

He climbs into a van and backs up fairly quickly and skids down the little dirt road we're standing by.

I don't miss his eyes locking with mine for a mere second. He has a cigarette in his mouth with both his hands on the steering wheel. He then looks away and speeds away.

"Sorry, that's Eddie. He can be...annoying."

"Well he didn't hit us so...that's good," I say looking at her now and smiling.

She just pulls a smirk and that's when I start to excuse myself.

I did invite her to skate with me if she ever wanted to. She said maybe and she seemed hesitant to let me go but she just smiled in the end and waved me goodbye.

It took me a bit to find my way back but it wasn't that difficult once I noticed the roads I had passed before.

I couldn't help but think about Max. She seemed upset. I mean-more so than when I met her but she could've been putting up a front because of what happened to me.