The Appointment

"So everything seems to be fine. Blood pressure and all seem to be good. As for the CT scan, we'll have to wait until tomorrow to let you know. We can give you a call but until then everything seems fine. I would like to have a word with her alone, however," the doctor says looking at Zach. "It's just personal questions we ask all teens and young adults," she clarifies.

He looks at me and back at her before nodding.

"Okay, I'll be out here," he tells me and I nod.

Once the doors closed the doctor smiled and lets me know of the taboo questions she has to ask me and that it'll all stay between us apparently. I just nod and once she's done with those she starts to ask more serious questions.

"So, How are you doing in school?"

Not great.

"Fine," I say fiddling with my hands.

"What are your favorite subjects or classes?"

"Art," I say after a moment of thinking. I thought of lying and saying something like English.

"Art?"

I just nod.

"And how are you doing in school? Having any trouble focusing lately or anything like that?"

"A bit," I say honestly.

I don't want to completely lie. I want to get help.

She writes that down and looks back at me.

"Like how?" She asks.

I try to think of how it's been this past week. It's a bit early to be doing bad but I haven't exactly been trying in class and my teachers have noticed. I said I was trying to miss Sullivan but now that I'm thinking about it..I'm really not. I'm just..there.

"I don't know..I just..I'm not really trying. I don't know I just don't feel like trying."

She nods and writes that down.

"And why not?"

"I don't know.. just feels a bit pointless."

"Pointless how?" She asks curiously.

I want to take back what I said just so we don't have to dive deeper into this.

"I mean, I just-I want to try but it's like..I can't. I have other things on my mind."

She nods writing it down.

"What other things?"

"Just..things," I say.

I look up at her and she's not writing anything down. She seems upset that I'm not going further into it.

"Okay. So you're having trouble in school a bit. That can't mean you're doing fine then can it?" She asks tilting her head down to get a good look at me.

I don't know what to say because now I sound stupid.

"Okay, so what do you do in class? If you're not paying attention.."

"I just lay my head down for a bit. I close my eyes. Or I doodle on my papers."

She nods writing that down.

"You rest your head a lot?"

"Yeah."

"Are you having some kind of trouble sleeping?"

"Sometimes."

It's quiet as she writes it down and then she switches gears a bit.

"And how is life at home?"