The Jacket

I got home around two in the morning and on the drive it was quiet but he played my music since I left my tape in his van.

I took it with me before leaving.

I didn't really know what to do or say before I got off.

"Hey," I hear whispering as he shakes me awake.

I fell asleep as we got a bit closer. I was using his jacket to cover myself.

"Oh," I go sitting up.

The jacket falls to my lap and I hand it to him.

"Here."

"No. Keep it. It's pretty cold outside. You still have to walk like a mile home so.."

I want to protest but he's not wrong.

"It's fine, besides, I like seeing you in it," he says with it.

"But-"

"Marilyn put it on or I'm going to kick your ass," he warns.

I look at him confused.

"Who told you my full name?"

"I might've asked around," he says with a cocky smile.

I shake my head.

I look out and start to feel upset that I have to leave him.

"Okay then," I say pressing my lips together.

He just tilts his head smiling at me. Clearly amused that I refuse to leave.

I sigh and open the door.

I'm about to get out but I turn to him and he widens his eyes in curiosity and I go up to him quickly and kiss his cheek and to my surprise, he moves his face and does the same kissing my cheek.

I pull away shocked and he's smiling like an idiot.

"Go. Go to bed and stop bothering me," he says waving me away, making me laugh.

I hop off the van.

"Night Eddie," I say.

"Sweet dreams Mary," he says and I grab my skateboard and close the door.

I put on his jacket properly and start to skate home.

***

The next morning I woke up late and walked into my first class with people staring at me.

"Ms. Davis. So glad you can join us," the teacher says.

I pull a forced smile and sit at my desk taking a sip of the coffee I brought.

I didn't sleep enough as I would like.

I did eat today though.

~

The day went by fast but to my surprise, Eddie didn't acknowledge me in school. I mean it was pretty much the same old Eddie who looks at me once and goes back to talking with his friends.

The thing that struck me as odd was that I saw him talking with Catherine again by the restrooms after lunch.

I was so invested in this random conversation with Robin that we both left lunch a bit late and when I walked around the halls I saw them talking by the restrooms.

He looked at me and seemed like I just caught him doing something he shouldn't be doing. All while Catherine gave me a dirty look.

I just ignored them and went to class.