Goodbye?

Eventually, along the road, Steve announced that he would stop so we could get prepared with our gear and weapons before going in.

So we took a detour along a field and stop at the top of it before all of us grabbed our things and went out to get prepared.

Steve and Dustin broke off together. Lucas and Erica too and then Steve stood back in the trailer doing god knows what and Robin was gathering her bottles outside the RV alone for the explosives.

I decided now would be a good moment to talk to her.

I walk up to her and she pulls a smile.

I sit next to her on this cooler they had out while she's sitting on this little footstool.

"Hey," I say as I sit down slowly. Making sure she's okay with it.

"Hey," she says stopping what she's doing for a moment.

I take this as a sign that it's fine for me to be next to her.

"So um...Vickie.. She's a—a piece of work," I say not really knowing where I'm going with this.

She looks at me like she's disappointed and then grunts.

"You saw?"

"Yeah...yeah, I saw," I say looking at my feet.

She sighs.

She doesn't say much and I look at her and she seems to be looking at me weirdly.

"For what it's worth...I think she's missing out," I say with a sincere smile.

She offers one back to me.

"Thanks," she gives a weak chuckle and looks away.

"And...I'm sorry," I tell her making her turn to me again. "For the whole thing with..trying to get you to go out with Steve."

She starts to smile. More of an amused one.

"Shouldn't have been pushing you with him. Regardless of your..stance." I say awkwardly not knowing how to put it. "I was pushing and you clearly don't see him that way. I shouldn't have brought it up multiple times-"

"It's fine Mary," she says honestly.

I look at her not feeling convinced.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," she says placing a hand on mine.

I smile and she then pulls her hand away and just looks out into the field.

We look at everyone who's working on their own thing.

"Can I ask you something though?"

"Yeah," she says.

I hesitate and wonder if I should ask but then just go for it.

"Was she the person you went to see at the party?"

I hear her sigh.

"Yeah. It was her. I heard that she wasn't anyone anymore and..idk."

I look at her sad expression as she seems to recall a memory or something.

"I guess I thought our little chats meant more than they really did."

I don't say anything because I'm not really sure what to say.

Just as I'm thinking of saying something motivating she probably doesn't wanna hear, Steve appears.

"Hey," he breathes out and we both say hey.