Friend

I didn't see Eddie after Dustin left. Even though I stuck around a bit hoping to see him but I think I underestimated the amount of time the games last because I didn't see anyone leave so I finally did.

I skated home which did take a while but I told everyone I would. I told my mom, Steve, and Robin, so they wouldn't bother to wait.

None of them liked it but they didn't argue with me about it.

When I got home and to my room, I found a card and a cupcake on my nightstand. My mother apologized and wished me a happy birthday. She said she loves me and that she just gets frustrated sometimes but that she's proud of me.

This is what she does. She never says she loves me. Not in person. She'll write it out or she won't say it at all. At first, I loved these letters. Every time she'd get mad I'd wait for one. I long for one and when I didn't get it I felt like the worst person. I wondered every time she didn't give me one if it was the final straw. If she stopped caring. Stopped loving me. However, the more I've grown, the less they even mean a thing to me.

I grab it and put it away with the rest of my notes and cards I keep. In my closet hidden in a box. I then grab the cupcake and eat it before dinner.

*

It's Friday and lunch now and I'm just tired and waiting for this school day to end so I can go home and take a nap.

Last night, before I saw the whole note, my mom was upset that I stayed a little too long and told me that I was going to sleep until all the dishes in the sink were clean and until the kitchen was spotless.

Of course, since no one had cleaned much since Monday it was pretty shit so I stayed up till three in the morning also because I tidied up the living room so she wouldn't have me doing it the next day.

So I slept for about three hours until I woke up around six-thirty and got up to get ready.

I'm in line for lunch struggling to stay awake.

I surprisingly put in a lot of effort in my face today since I felt like shit. Also mainly due to my mom's outraged tantrum two days prior that left me with a pretty red mark on my face. It'll go away though. She never hits me hard enough to leave a scar.

"Hey Mary," I hear an annoying high-pitched sound from behind me.

I turn and see Catherine with her little group of girls.

"Yes?" I ask with no energy.

"I'm sorry but I thought I'd let you know that it's not Halloween anymore," she says looking me up and down before laughing.

"Haha clever," I say flatly before turning around.

It goes quiet and that's when the lunch lady raises a brow at them.

"Catherine. I already served you and your friends so please run off and stop bothering the students getting their lunch," she says making me smile.

I hear them sigh before hearing their footsteps as they walk away.

"Thank you," I mouth to the lunch lady Teresa.

She just winks at me as I finish and walk outside to Robin.

-