The Help

It's been three days since seeing Eddie. That day he took his time to explain the game to me. I was there for so long that I actually lost track of time. I tried my best not to panic or say much and I think he bought it. Luckily my mother was asleep though. She fell asleep on the couch I'm guessing from being tired from work.

Besides that, the game still stands a mystery to me for the most part. It seemed very complicated, but he said it would be easier the more you play and plan.

He tried to get me to join his club but I told him I'd be no good.

He said it was just an idea.

Now I'm in my last class and I haven't really seen him at all. Not even at lunch. Then again I don't go out of my way that much to look for him because for some reason we have an unspoken agreement to not socialize in school in front of others.

The bell rings though, finally. As I walk out I'm scared half to death by Dustin himself.

"I need your help."

*

"So-tell me...why your super smart girlfriend Suzie can't help you or at the very least tell you the answers?"

"Number one: she would never do that...but that's a nice idea, thank you."

I roll my eyes as he continues.

"Number two: it's not that simple and three: she's out of reach."

I look at him confused.

"Out of reach?"

He sighs sitting back in his chair in this empty classroom he's watching for a teacher while he's in the restroom.

"Let's just say Suzie has been..helping me," he goes in air quotations. "But recently her father nearly caught her and she had to make up this insane lie, which is bad but not necessarily as bad as knowing about me and what she's been doing for me."

"Her parents don't know about you?" I question in disbelief.

They've been talking for about a year almost and she still hasn't told her parents about him.

I actually...respect that.

"No, but that's not the point. The point is...she got in trouble so she won't be in range for a while and I need to ace this quiz coming because my grades are going to shit without her."

"Well, have you ever thought of..I don't know studying?" I ask sarcastically.

"That's why I'm here," he responds sourly.

I sigh knowing damn well I won't be able to say no to this kid.

"Do you need my help today?"

"No-uh we can study Tomorrow here?" He offers.

I sigh and get up as he watches in caution.

"Okay," I sigh.

"Okay?" He questions with a growing smile.

"Okay. Meet me here at the same time," I say making my way to the door.

"Okay," he immediately says.

"Don't be late or I'm leaving," I warn.

"You got it," I hear him say louder as I make my way out.

***

I'm sitting down waiting for Dustin to finish the question I helped him with.

"You done?"

He slowly turns his head to me looking annoyed.

"Does it look like I'm finished?" He asks irritated.

I just sigh and wave him back to finish.

When I got home yesterday, I told my mom that my school offered me a tutoring position for the younger students for extra credit. She was impressed and believed the lie.

Thankfully. On the plus side, if I decide to stay after school with Robin or..Someone else. I have an excuse now.

She won't ask the school. She wouldn't think I'd lie to her because I never really dare to. She did warn me to tell the principal or whoever that I can't stay too long to tutor because she needs me at home. I of course will tell her later another lie about how they completely understand.

"Ok," he says passing it to me.

I'm helping him with Math. He says he's usually very good with math but he tells me lately he hasn't been focusing too much due to his after-school club which I'm very familiar with.

"Looks good."

"Really?" He asks shocked.

"Yeah. The first one is wrong though. So re-do it."

He continues and I start to wonder what Eddie is doing right now.

I hate to be that person but he's just..I feel like I've gotten along well with him like I haven't with Robin and Steve. They're great but I don't think I could tell them anything about me really and with Eddie, it seems...easy. Even though I haven't completely gone into detail. I feel like if I did I wouldn't be afraid of being judged.

"So you're getting along with Eddie?" Dustin asks randomly as he's still focused on his paper.

"Wha-what?"

"You and Eddie," he goes looking at me now. "He seems to like you."

I try not to smile at that.

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah, caught me by surprise. He doesn't really like many people," he says going back to his paper.

That made me smile.

"I don't know. He's nice. He's not what I excepted him to be," I say making him look at me.

"You know-just because the people of this school call him a freak doesn't mean he is. I mean..he can be a bit..much, but he's really great once you get to know him."

He was getting upset. He probably thought that I had a negative view of him because of other people.

"Oh. I didn't know people called him that," I say honestly. "He just seemed very intimidating."

Dustin's eyes softened as he looked at me.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to go off on you. It's just..people love to tell me not to be around him when they don't know him well and he's really a cool person. He won't ever be cruel to anyone who didn't ask for it."

I just nod taking in that information.

He sighs and looks at his watch.

"Shit," he says getting up quickly and gathering his papers.

"What? What are you doing?" I ask looking at him like he's lost it.

"I'm gonna be late," he says looking at his watch.

"For what?" I ask looking at mine. "We've barely been here for an hour and I'm sure you have a backside to that," I say pointing at his paper.

"I know I'm sorry, I think I have the hang of it though. Thanks, ill-"

"Dustin!" I hear turning to the door to see Mike standing there.

He looks at me and pulls a forced smile waving at me.

"Hey, Mary."

"Hey, Mike.."

"I'm sorry Mary. I promise I'll finish the rest but I got to go."

"Hurry up. Eddie's getting impatient," Mike goes.

"Shit," Dustin curses as he tries to jam his papers into his backpack making me cringe.

Mike looks back at me and smiles saying goodbye before running off.

Dustin is about to rush out before he turns and looks at me.

"He's a really nice person," he says with a sigh from rushing. "Don't let this influence your view. He's just very passionate about DND," he says making me chuckle.

"Ok."

He smiles once more before running out.