jay - lifeline

#65
this is completely inspired??? by ThatNinjagoWriter's unpublished book Lifeline. The author was nice enough to let me write an imagine off of it since it's not on her page anymore. she told me what it was about and i immediately wrote down my take.

the legacy lives on!! lol enjoy.

warning: suicide, implied self harm.

I blink.

I blink again.

"Sorry," he mutters, sounding timid. I was walking down the hallway to get to my next period after lunch, so you can only imagine the rush of students going everywhere. Coming from a fast food restaurant or sitting in the hallways as they ate their homemade lunch. Some never ate at all.

With all of this craziness happens, something crazier has to happen naturally. That results in me bumping into the new kid at school. At first, I panic. Second, I scramble to get all of his stuff from the floor. Which I assume is papers to catch up with and course outlines. My suspicions were correct as I grab the paper for him.

I was about to give it to him but I couldn't help but freeze.

He looks exactly like him.

From the freckles to the starry converse shoes.

It is almost copied and pasted.

I am not 100% aware of my surroundings but I know I didn't feel anymore air pass through the airways as they should. The lump in my throat grew but my subconscious still gave him back the papers but I can't stop looking at him. My eyes slowly trailed down to his arms.

Long sleeves.

"Sorry," he apologizes once more. "Did I do something or...?" His voice brings me back but my heart still rests on top of my stomach the entire time. He looks away immediately as if he is intimidated. Or just hates eye contact. I never want him to feel nervous or anything but...I just have this weird pull towards him.

My mouth speaks before my brain can think of anything
"No, no. Just remind me of an old friend."
Dead friend I should say.
I inhale slowly but it's still shaky. My entire body was shaking actually. I try to ignore it and focus on the new kid who looks dangerously close to my dead best friend. The halls were almost clear at this point and the bell is sure to ring soon. After the bell, the hall monitors have to do a sweep to make sure no one is skipping. We have to go. But I need to touch him. I need to know if what I am seeing is not my imagination.

"Okay...do- do you m-mind showing me my next class?" He takes in a deep breath. I only nod as my body continues to shake. He hands me his classes. We share the afternoon together. Just like-

No. My therapist says that I've exceeded my grief time and have to move on to the next step. I have been stuck on the depression phase since forever and haven't been able to take the step towards acceptance. I just...can't.

I almost forget to speak but I do end up telling him what classes he has and mention that we share the afternoon. Sadly, the class is on the third floor and we are on the first.

"I heard that you are new. Given that you need help finding your way around the school. If you want, you can hang with me if you need a friend." I don't know what I am saying. I don't know what I even just said. I hate making friends. Absolutely despise it. My younger self knew how to be more out there and willing to meet people. Now, all of my friends are in other schools.
The only friend I had here killed himself.

So....why am I feeling this weird urge to protect him?

To help him?

You don't want to make the same mistake twice do you?

Now you know to answer a phone call even when you're mad. Even though you knew he was struggling and your effort not to pick up on the tenth ring was the tipping point.

You know that it's your fault.

Here was the monks saying this is my second chance.

To save him.

To help him.

"Sure!" He sends a small smile. I can see the gratitude on his expression and this was one step closer for me to help him not end his lifeline.