Fire or ice

Layla was tossing around the bed when she heard her alarm.
"Time to get up." She slowly mumbled out and picked her phone to off it. Rubbing her eyes to get rid of the remaining sleep she stretched her arms but it was short lived when she heard her phone ring.

Opening her eyes she picked the call to place it on her left ear.

"Hello aunt Marion. I am just about to get ready." She said and got up from the bed she shared with Harriet . She twirled around the room till her figure stopped in front of the mirror.

"How are you Layla." Aunt Marion's voice quivered a little at the end which Layla failed to notice as her eyes  and attention were glued to her face that appeared in the mirror where the swell had gingerly disappeared.

"I doing good Aunt Marion. I should be the one to open the cafe right?."

The hand that was touching the light swell on her cheek stopped when she heard Aunt Marion's next words

"Layla you don't have to come to work anymore."

"Why Aunt Marion,did something happen or I did something." Layla sat back to the bed with a confused look.

"No dear,our sells are not much and with the money I can't pay you enough,so I don't want to stress you by cutting off your salary."
She tried to explain coolly as much she can without giving herself away.

Layla decided not to stress the old woman with her question so she let it go at just one go.
"It is okay Aunt Marion you have children and they are your priority,so it is okay I understand."

"I am so sorry Layla for doing this. I got no choice."

Getting up from the bed she said
"No no I am okay we it,don't forget to hire me back when everything went back to normal."

"I don't think so"This was aunt Marion silent thought.
"Okay Layla thank you and I will say this again I am sorry."

"Nevermind Aunt Marion I am okay."Layla tried to flick back the tears that filled her eyes.

"Alright bye dear. I pray you find a better job."

"I pray so too, thank you."

Layla breathed a sad sigh as the call ended she slumped on the couch that was inside the room. 'She was trying to get an affordable apartment but here she is now without job. What is really happening to her.?" She groaned and looked to the ceiling with tears filled her eyes wanting to stream down, but she forcefully sniffed held them back from falling,

"No Layla don't,don't cry

||~~

After calming herself down she dressed up to go out for her evening lectures. Saying goodbye to Harriet's mother she walked out of the apartment's compound.

Hailing a taxi Layla made her way to the university not aware of the black Mercedes Maybach s-class that followed them.

Getting done with her lectures she was called to the administrative block. When she got to accountant's office Layla nervously kept fiddling with her fingers. 'She knew what she was called for and she gets no way out of it.'

"Layla Harris I believe you know what I called you for?"

"Yes sir." Her words faintly came.

"Okay you've requested for more time the last semester and this semester too but until now you haven't paid any of the tuition fees and we are so close to start your exams."

"Yes sir."

"Try to pay and.."

"Sir I..." she wanted to reason and seek more time but he interrupted her