37 | Espérer

Shehnaaz

The sunlight was streaming inside the room, almost blinding me with its rays even though my eyes were closed. I reluctantly open them and squint at the harsh glare of the sunshine and stretch my sore body on the bed like a feline. The corner of my lips tug into a Cheshire grin as I enjoy the softness of the Egyptian cotton sheets, however, my smile drops as soon as I spot the vacant place beside me.

Did he leave?

My brows scrunch into a frown as I place my hand on his side and find it slightly warm. He probably woke up a few minutes earlier than me. Before I let my thoughts run wild, I flop back down on the litter of silk brown pillows. The shrill ringing of my phone breaks me out of my reverie and wrapping the duvet around my body, I try to get up. As I said, I try.

I cringe as soon as I stand. Pain shoots all over my lower abdomen and my back from last night's exertions and my knees feel like they are about to give up.

The shrill ringtone of my phone breaks me out of my reverie again and I limp my way to the lounge area where I left my purse last night.
Pulling out my phone I roll my eyes when I see who the caller is.

Ahaan.

Treluctantly swipe the green icon over the screen and muster my most nonchalant I did not sleep with your cousin voice.

"Hey! Good Morning" I greet him.

"Hi, so she picks up my phone, finally" He replies sarcasm dripping his voice and I roll my eyes.

"Why are you calling me anyway?" I ask him curiously.

"Well, I was on my way to your room to escort you for breakfast..." My mind blanks as soon as I hear this ad my breath gets hitched in my throat with panic. Shit! How the hell am I going to reach my room before Ahaan when I can barely move?

"No! That's unnecessary. Besides, I just woke up and I still need to freshen up. You go join others, I'll see you shortly" I try my best to convince him, and thankfully it works,

"Oh. Sure I'll see you then" He says after a pause and I inwardly sigh with relief and hang up. I set the phone down on the coffee table and timidly make my way towards the bathroom to freshen up first.

On my way there, I pause momentarily in the bedroom and check the bed for any notes that I might've missed. Sidharth always left notes whenever he was in a hurry. Finding none, I sigh with disappointment. sadness creeps its way inside my head as I think of Sidharth leaving me right on the day when I'm about to leave. I try my best to push away all my depressing thoughts and make my way inside the washroom to get cleaned up.

<><><>

"Well, the weather's beautiful today so it's safe to say that we won't be facing any turbulence then" Ahaan mutters as he takes a bite of his French toast and I nod my head in acknowledgment of his words.
The weather was indeed bright but my mood was still bleak like stormy black clouds.

Sidharth wasn't present at the dining hall for breakfast either. I felt so restless knowing that I had no one to ask about his whereabouts without them being suspicious of me. Even Sahil was missing and I found out from Neha that he went back to Irisfield early in the morning to get some unfinished business done.

I look down at the Soupe a l'oignon which was been served a minute ago by Brenda. According to her, the soup was a very famous dish in France and the taste was a complete die for. The dish looked quite strange actually. It was a famous French onion soup with caramelized onions and meat stock. On top of it was a thick golden crispy bread crust which was coated generously with large proportions of cheese. Brenda was indeed right; the taste was truly to die for.