43 | Drama

Shehnaaz

"Mom?!" I squeak out in disbelief.

There she was, standing tall with her arms crossed over her chest.Looking at her often made me feel reassured because I was the exact carbon copy of her except she wasn't an emotional fuck-up. At least I would look hot when I grow old.

She was wearing a black salwar suit with a shiny silver purse in her shoulders. Her regal attire made me awfully aware of the fact that I looked anything but decent.I was still sporting Sidharth's white t-shirt paired with a pair of his black sweatpants which looked extremely loose on me.

I could bet that I looked like a fucking hooker!

"Why on earth are you wearing men's cloth?" She shrieks out and for a moment I almost worry about her suffering a heart attack given to her tone.

"Hello, mom! It's great seeing you too" I greet her with a nervous laugh and step inside the living room. I plop down on one of the couch casually like it's no big deal even though on the inside, I was screaming with anxiety.

"Do you have any clue on how worried I was? I thought...I thought..." She trails off and that's when I look at her to know what exactly she thought.

"I even called for like 30 times last night!" She continues frantically and on cue, I check my phone to see 31 missed calls from mom and 20 missed calls from dad.

Handling mom was no big deal. She was cool in her own way but handling dad was a whole different scenario. It wasn't like he was too stern or domineering; the problem was I had no clue on how to live down the embarrassment over the fact of my father seeing me dressed like this.

"I'm sorry mom. I had no clue that you'd be in Delhi and I was over at..." I try finding words to say and end up with, "It's complicated"

"Is he the type of guy whom you guys call fuck-buddies these days?" My mum quizzes me and I almost break my neck when I whip to look at her with my face etched in horror.

"EWW! What the hell are you even asking? No! We're not fuck-buddies but that doesn't mean we're official either" I try to explain to her but she clicks her tongue in displeasure.

"Well, I hope you make it official soon. After all, you're fucking him"

"Hah! You fucked dad too but you guys weren't even dating back then" Her face goes red with mortification at my retort and I suppress my laughter at her expression.

"you don't talk to your mother like this and that was different! At least we had kids, wait till you have kids of your own!" She tries to reason out even though her explanation made no sense.
However, my blood runs cold when a sudden realization strikes my head.

Shit! We didn't use a condom and I did not even take a bloody birth-control pill! Noticing my terrified expression, my mother's face softens and she asks me gently, "Sweetie, please don't tell me that you forgot to use a condom. As much as I would love to have grandkids, from the look on your face, it doesn't look like you are ready for news like that and I'm not either I want you to marry first"

Ready? Hell, I don't even know if Sidharth wants children. That is if I'm ever impregnated by him.

"Oh my God, mum. I-I wh-h" I stutter out as tears cloud my vision with panic. My breath starts coming out in short gasps and my entire being shudders with sobs.

Seeing my state, she rushes over to the kitchen and quickly returns with a glass of water.
"Here, here. C'mon sweetie, deep breaths. It's going to be ok. We'll fix this" She tries to soothe me by rubbing my back in a comforting gesture and within a few seconds, the panic starts subsiding.

"For how long have you having unprotected sex, sweetie?" I try my best not to wince at her words but then again, my mother was never the one with a mouth filter.

"Only last night," I say in a small tone and watch her sigh with relief.

"Ah see! It's no big deal! Let's just go to our favorite coffee shop and we'll grab a Plan B on our way home from the pharmacy" She suggests and continues, "You can tell me all about your mystery man on the way"